[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First 2015 Mustang Auctioned Off at Barrett Jackson
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:29 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

As a special fund raising effort, the Ford Motor Company offered the very first 2015 Mustang to be sold at retail to the public to be auctioned off at the Barrett Jackson Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona this past weekend.

The 2015 Mustang was donated by Ford to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. Edsel Ford has been a big supporter of this charity for many years and continues to work through Barrett Jackson to raise needed funds for this foundation.

This particular car, a Deep Impact Blue Mustang GT with an Automatic Transmission, will carry the same prominence as the very first 1964 1/2 Mustang that was sold at retail in March 1964, a month before the cars formal introduction at the New York World's Fair on April 17, 1964. The owner of this car will be recognized historically as the first person to own a 2015 Mustang, the first of the sixth generation.

The bidding on the car was hot and heavy and when the auctioneer, Spanky Assiter, hammered the car sold it went for an incredible $300,000! The best part is that all of the money raised goes directly to the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation without any fees or commissions paid!

The Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

Post subject: Re: First 2015 Mustang Auctioned Off at Barrett Jackson
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:39 pm 

Awesome support for a worthy cause as I am diabetic and you know I maintain. But what chaps me is Barrett Jackson has totally over inflated sales of vehicles because all these "experts" think they have a cherry/mint vehicle.

I like the coverage and I like the insights the show does provide as those little insights and or details has provided me a keener eye when looking at a vehicle I might be interested in.

Attachments:
th6C9QUILU.jpg
th6C9QUILU.jpg [ 4.68 KiB | Viewed 5975 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:59 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Barrett Jackson has managed to orchestrate the collector car hobby to a new level in recent years. The BJ Auction has been around for many years, primarily selling old classic cars. The auction became more "mainstream" and garnered renewed popularity with the dramatic rise in the interest of classic muscle cars of the late 50's, 60's and 70's.

This created a whole new industry of people creating cars the factories only wished they could manufacture. These high end restorations are expensive and during the late 90's and into the 2000's people who made big money in the stock market and real estate businesses as an example paid outlandish prices for these ultra high end restorations.

Than we add in the "experts" who only hype up the cars by spelling out their rarity and engineering genius to make it look like these cars are worth the high prices the auctions generate. BJ to their credit only consigns the higher end cars and trucks and spreads them out among all price points so in the early days of an auction event the "little guy" can actually buy one of these cars. But as the event moves along into the Saturday and Sunday premium time slots, the cars get more rare and more pricey.

BJ spices up the event by auctioning off the majority of the cars at no reserve so every car will eventually sell. This is high stakes gambling by the consignors who stand to make a huge profit or sometimes take a huge financial hit. Remember these cars for the most part are not unretouched cars but highly expensive restorations.

Mecum and the other collector car auctions operate in a more traditional way by having reserves being met before a car can sell. Mecum also has a "bid goes on" booth to continue selling cars after the car doesn't meet it's reserve while on stage. This allows an interested seller and and interested buyer some quiet time to negotiate a private deal, although Mecum still gets their commissions on the transactions. Many sellers are motivated to sell at a slightly lower price than their reserve if they are facing the expense of transporting the vehicle back home with them.

Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 pm 

Well the other factor of auctions in all aspects such as but not limited too antiques of all kinds , cars, homes are the ones who flip things and I guess you know the old saying of one man's junk is another's treasure. I feel that some of that is just peddling junk. I am a bit opinionated about the things buyer beware of. I do like watching some auctions as it is a coin flip on the outcomes.

BJ does have the real market corned with the media and the presenters and that is some of the best stuff going.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:29 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

All of the auction companies have come a long way in using the media, be it TV, the internet or social media to promote themselves. The people who attend and participate in these auctions are all enthusiasts who have a desire to relive their youth in many cases Dirk.

I've also seen this with the model train hobby. In the 1990's and early 2000's these same type of affluent buyers with a lot of disposable income spent crazy money on ebay and at auctions buying their original Lionel Trains to relive their youth. Once this started happening the train collector hobby went crazy trying to outdo everyone with the rarest and most limited number of trains that were manufactured to keep upping the price and the people just kept paying more. That is until the stock market and the economy tanked! Then you started to see prices even out and come back down to earth again!

Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:07 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:06 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:26 pm 

Yes I know I own a Mustang and it seems I have little things I am doing to it that aren't necessary but make it more personalized.

:yikes:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:24 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I believe that most car lovers and enthusiasts personalize their cars to some extent. The Advance Auto Stores, NAPA stores, Pep Boys, Auto Zone and other specialty stores stores offer hundreds if not thousands of accessories to help us personalize our cars. Everything from seat covers to floor mats, steering wheels covers to cup holders help us enjoy our time in our cars. Since people are spending more and more of their time in their cars we might as well make them as comfortable and personalized as we can.

The thing about auctions is that everything we have added to our cars must come off again to make them as original as possible. I get a laugh when they talk about "patina" as if rust and torn upholstery is supposed to make me nostalgic because it is only new once! Give me a break! :yikes: All I see is stuff that has to be repaired or replaced!

Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:26 am 
President
President

Forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but wasn't the first mustang ever sold to the public sold on April 15th 1964 (woman still owns the car to this day) which was actually only 2 days before the mustang was introduced to the public April 17th 1964 at the New York Worlds Fair? You mentioned the first was sold in march?

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:35 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:57 pm 

Now that is a really cool story. I don't think this could be redone as things are so different than back in 1964. But the proof on who either ordered and or bought the first 2015 will be interesting as the proof will be via electronic media means I reckon.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:03 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

This story is interesting because when Gail Brown got her teaching job she and her father went looking for a car for her. They visited the Ford Dealer but Gail just wasn't that interested in the cars that they had for sale. The salesman, believing that she might leave the dealership took her and her father out in back of the dealership and showed her a car that was under wraps. This was the 1964 1/2 Mustang Convertible! Once she saw that car she was sold! Her father co-signed for her and the salesman asked her to keep things hushed up for the next two days as the car wasn't supposed to be available until the introduction on April 17th.

Now that is a cool story! :pepper:

Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:03 pm 

Now that is some bragging rights!