[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help replacing gasket/head/intake??
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:07 pm 

Anyone interested in making 100-200$ helping me replace my gasket/head/intake (& possibly motor mounts/EGR valve/heater core) *1990 Foxbody* I don't mind doing most of the wrench turning, im just looking for a knowledgeable buddy to oversee the work. I enjoy the mechanic aspect of fixing my own car, I'm just relatively new to this and don't want to screw anything up and cost myself more money. I'm located in the upper marlboro area & looking to dive into the repair work something around the Nov 20th. PM me if interested :confused2:
:usaflag:

Post subject: Re: Help replacing gasket/head/intake??
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:11 am 
Past President
Past President

Do you have you own tools, lift, etc..?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 pm 

Own tools; yes. A lift; no. To my understanding you can replace the heads w/o a lift but the motor mounts will definitely require one..
If the lift is a necessity I may just goto a "rent a car-bay by the hour" type deal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:33 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:21 pm 

so about this Bob..
Would he be open to helping me replace my heads (etc)?
If not, would he be open to lending his lift?
Where is he located??

Feel free to chime in Bob if you're out there
:wave1:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:35 am 
Past President
Past President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 am 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Tell us about your project.

Are you upgrading the heads and intake?
Or are they coming off to fix the head gasket?

If these are upgrades, what head and intake combo are you installing?

Have these pieces been off the car in the last 5 years?

Most of the work is manageable by an average shade tree mechanic, but have you talked to anyone about replacing the heater core before? That is a big job. I know the service manual method is ugly, well time consuming. Maybe some hobbyists have found shortcuts. Please consult the Oracle Google, before proceedings with that repair.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:23 pm 

Damn. I didn't know there was a meeting tonight but I'm working till late tonight, I wish I could.

Right now the project goal is to upgrade the heads while replacing the gasket, and upper & lower intakes w/ gt40 parts (hopefully w/ porting if I can scrape up the money for this TMoss I've heard a lot about) along w/ the explorer TB. heads will be the tfs/kpi high ports, I believe the headers I have will fit I was told the stock H pipe would have to be slightly modified to accommodate the .75in (iirc) raised exhaust ports on the heads.
None of it's been off in the past 5 years. I bought it stock about a year ago and have been enjoying fixing her up. don't plan to ever sell it so I'm determined to get everything out her

My Ford service manual CDs should be to me by Saturday. I believe I have all the tools I'll need though

I've read up on the heater core and it seems more time consuming than difficult. the starter/alt/solenoid fixing/replacing I've been so far wasn't too bad

Oh and yes, the google gods are ever generous in all foxbody endeavors :bows:

Thanks everyone for your responses :btu:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:17 pm 

Bob is a good egg and will do you right.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:28 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:16 pm 

I know it is 2 hours from Solomon's Island to Westminster.

Bob would say just R&R with a GT-40 and as I am not a man hours monster although it is about 4K too. Although he aims to please the customer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:58 am 

I'm located in upper marlboro about 30min north of waldorf. Baltimore isn't too far of a trip (45ish min) but I'm guessing this would be an 4-6 hours project so time may become a concern.

I was planning to use the stock pushrods with the heads along with 1.6 rr. I've heard ppl have used these hi port heads w/ stock pistons/cam/block with no problems. Not sure what the springs are but the heads allegedly are coming off a running 331 turbo engine so I think they'll be okay for me

Is air pump the smog pump? bcuz I plan to belt bypass both the smog and ac. Also planning on keeping the EGR although I have historic plates so no emissions I believe, if it's too much of a hassle I can bypass that too.
I was already planning for new head bolts but thanks for the reminder, & thanks for the cable cam cable/throttle issue ill look into that.

Please update me on this Baltimore car bay possibility.. Even if a no, an update when be nice when time allows.

Once my car allows I may become a regular to these club meetings, would be great to learn all I can from everyone... maybe even some hand me down parts if I'm lucky? :confused2:

& I'll see what info I can find on the H pipe modification.. sounded easy when explained to me :confused3:

Thanks again for the responses :btu:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 am 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

BobT and I both have service bays. He actually makes a living out of his and he is quick and knowledgeable. Bob's shop is in Westminster. I am in White Marsh/Perry Hall and my service bay is strictly a hobbyist shop. There might be others in the club with garages.

I am very slow I would plan on two days to do Heads, Intake, motor mounts and exhaust. But Bob is much faster. If you use RTV instead of gaskets under the lower intake, people suggest waiting overnight to have the RTV setup before starting the motor.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:47 pm 

+1 on Bob, ive had him work on multiple cars of mine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:41 pm 

@DrR when you say you run a hobbyist shop what exactly does that mean? in my head I'm picturing a more relaxed, less "I am a mechanic for a living" kinda deal... which actually sounds right up my alley.
In any case Baltimore & White Marsh are about equal distances (Baltimore is closer by a few minutes) from me so if either become an option that would b great

Why do some prefer not to use gaskets & solely RTV on the lower intake vs a gasket?? For my project I was planning to use a metal cored gasket.

Anything other snags or watchouts I should know about concerning gasket/head/intake replacing??

Thanks again everyone. maybe there's more ppl frequenting this forum than I thought. can't wait to goto an actual club function, see what my dues get me besides the sweet window sticker :btu: :usaflag: