[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Do you need a garage to own a convertible?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I've noticed a lot of late model Mustang convertibles, 2005 to present, being offered on some of the used car websites like Cars.com and AutoTrader.com and was curious as to the potential problems of owning a convertible if you don't have a garage.

I've owned three convertibles going back to the 1960's and didn't really have too many issues with the tops but I also didn't own the cars for very long. I'm sure that the newer convertible cars with the glass windows are more durable but I am concerned about not being able to garage the car. I'm also concerned about heating the car in the winter.

Living here in Maryland we really don't have a long season to ride with the top down so I'm curious as to how convertible owners maintain their cars, especially if you do not garage them.

Thanks,

Midnight Blue
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

Post subject: Re: Do you need a garage to own a convertible?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:21 pm 

I am really new at stangs and verts and I'd say that having the garage is a huge plus. facts as I know it today is as long as it is out of the elements the rest answer itself. I might be wrong on this and time would tell.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:19 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

It's days like this, March 23rd, where we have four inches plus of snow on the cars and grass and about two inches on the roads where I worry about owning a convertible without a garage.

The weight of the snow can't be good for the top and the long term durability of the vinyl or whatever material the top is made from. I'm seeing this as a replaceable expense every few years. Maybe the newer convertibles have more durable and longer lasting tops than the older models I'm familiar with but it is still a concern.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:39 pm 
President
President

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:09 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Well I wouldn't have to worry about hair getting into my eyes Jim! :yikes:

I'm sure that the newer convertibles are much more resilient than those of the past. If I did have one I would absolutely make sure that I would not allow heavy snow to stay on it for long periods of time.

Of course getting a convertible would be a natural when I decide to move to Florida to lower my cost of living from this tax and spend nut house state! :hammerhead:

My brother Alan rented a 2010 Mustang convertible when we visited my three other brothers who live in Florida for my nieces wedding. Of course "Uncle Stevie" got roped into doing the photography and worked his rear end off but driving around in the Mustang with the top down was a lot of fun.

It's something that I haven't ruled out completely although my preference is still a hardtop.

Thanks for the input guys! :wave1:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:36 pm 

My pony car is in the garage and I have several cats who think my top is there domain. I do keep my car covered and then I have additional stuff on top to keep the nails from making contact.

All I can say is good times owning a soft top car. :yikes:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:32 am 

There are no long term problems with having a convertible. I had a 01 GT and put a brand new top on it. But before I had put a new top on it, I had a bad leak from rain. This is because the top was used so much. Also in case any of you guys know, the sun, the cold, the heat, has an effect on tops. In the cold and hot, the top actually condenses and expands much like tires do. This is sometimes how tops leak just like t-tops. The seals and trim get old and break from condensing and expanding so much. Alot of it has to do with the sun drying everything out and making everything crack. So to summarize, no there are no problems with leaving a convert out in the rain but maybe after 8+ years, I would consider looking at one. Also in case anybody didnt know. Fabric is always better than vinyl. It stretches better that vinyl does. Vinyl does look good(which is what I put on) but Fabric holds up better and doesnt get as dirty. You also dont have to lotion it as much.

Hope this helps

Francis
2008 Mustang Bullitt Highland Green
Chargers cant outrun me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:52 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Thanks for your personal ownership perspective Francis. People who buy convertibles must be prepared for the additional upkeep and maintenance that they will require.

Obviously having a garage to keep the car out of the elements would go a long way toward maintaining and preserving the top and the seals and trim from drying out. Also the motors for the top probably need to have some preventive maintenance as well. Getting a convertible that has been garage kept would also be better than one that has not.

Treating the top whether it is fabric or vinyl would also insure longer life to a top but I suspect that no matter how well you maintain a convertible if it is kept outdoor you can expect to be replacing the top every 5-6 years.

These are all things that I'll keep in mind should I have an opportunity to buy a Mustang convertible but right now I'm still leaning toward a hard top.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:45 pm 

mine has been garaged since the day i bought it...so I'm not much help on that matter...for that matter...as a matter of fact..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:38 pm 

Another thing with the S197 chassis, they were designed from the ground up all new and with a 'vert in mind at the factory with very little chassis changes/modifications when it was built as a 'vert. The earlier late models (Foxes/SN95) were not. The literally had to beef up the chassis with extra bracing and "remove the roof" out of house.

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:20 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Without a dedicated garage to protect the car I am leaning toward a hard top. Even if the top is in great shape there would be additional maintenance issues to contend with down the road and all of them are expensive.

I won't necessarily rule out buying a convertible if I get a chance but I won't be going out of my way to do so. I'm perfectly satisfied to own a hardtop but it is nice knowing that the convertibles have come a long way since I last owned one. :btu:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:51 pm 

I don't think a garage is a necessity for convertible ownership. My Vert sits outside year round. A quality OUTDOOR car cover goes a long way. My cover actually beads water, so while some water does get to the car the majority just runs off, and snow seems to have a hard time sticking to it so if there is any wind ( when was the last time we had snow without wind ) it just blows off. Sure I would rather have a garage, and the cover takes a few extra minutes to put on and take off, but it works for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:07 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:59 pm 

I keep my convertible in a garage. Got tired of the vandalism and got a garage.