Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wiper scar on windshield
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:13 pm 

Anyone know how to buff that out? I have a vehicle here where the wiper was worn down (by the previous owner..) to the metal and scarred up the windshield. I just can see replacing the thing! I thought I read on line somewhere that this can be sanded and buffed? True or false? Other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Wiper scar on windshield
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 pm 
Past President
Past President

Most glass companies can buff them out as long as its not deep.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:55 pm 

If it's from the metal of the wiper, it's a very long shot but worth the try before a replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:47 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Depending on how deep the scratch is there is a possibility that it can be buffed out. Griot's Garage offers a number of products specifically designed for windshields. They offer a special Glass Cleaning Clay Bar much like a Paint Cleaning Clay Bar to remove dirt, road film, oil, tar, grease, water spots, bug jerky and other contaminants that are difficult to remove from windshields.

They also offer special Glass Polishing Pads for use on both their 6" and 3" orbital polishers. In addition Griot's produces two glass polishes specifically for windshields, a Fine Glass Polish and Glass Polish.

You can check them out on Griot's Garage website for more information. Again everything depends on how deep the scratches are on the windshield but if they are not too deep there is a good possibility that the windshield can be repaired.

If the scratch is really deep then perhaps a windshield replacement company like Safe Lite might be able to use a special acrylic filler to cover the scratch and blend it in for a lot less than replacing the entire windshield.

Good luck! You can PM me if you have any other questions. I have a lot Griot's Garage products and plan to add the glass polishes, clay bar and pads to my inventory later this spring.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Treasurer-Historian