[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

What Kind of Car Person are You?
I like knowing ever aspect of my car 62%  62%  [ 13 ]
I like how it looks and sounds 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
I care more about what's under the hood 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm a driver and leave the mechanics to the mechanic 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: What Kind of Car Person Are You...Poll
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:19 am 
Vice President
Vice President

This question was posed to me recently and it really got me thinking. I thought it to be an interesting question so I thought I'd throw it out there for all of you to chime in as well. Admittedly I don't know as much as I'd like about what is going on under the hood but one thing I know for sure, I LOVE to drive my ride. So I guess that is what kind of car person I am, a driver. What are you?

AIM: levijwardell
Twitter:

Post subject: Re: What Kind of Car Person Are You...Poll
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:52 pm 

I like to be involved in the process of my car from ignition to rearend gears because it is a total package. Grease on my hands is part of the overall process in making it mine. Paint and body is not one of the points I wanna be in but I am interested-but not enthused.
:banana2:

As I've gotten older I am more into turn key ops than rebuilding and spending time with the hard core points, I like the easier parts like brake jobs, oil changes and stuff like that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:56 pm 

For sure I do LOVE to drive my COBRA. But I am also very involved in the maintenance and upgrading of my cat from the paint and body to the engine and brake upgrades. I also like to get my hands dirty while working on the car. And as most of you know I am also very versed in taking care of the paint and finish on the car. It is time consuming but a labor of love.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:18 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:29 pm 

I like knowing every aspect. I've loved cars since I was a little toddler and I received my first Hot Wheels car. Even if I can't fix it myself I know what needs to be done so if I have to take it somewhere I know the guy isn't telling me a story. I try to do everything I can myself and have my son (13 now) helping me so he learns as well. That's how I learned. The other day he helped me change the oil. He did the dirty work I did all of the clean work. :btu:

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:06 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:10 pm 

I try to do what I can, I have no qualms turning a wrench. I'll go as far as I can then I'll get help. When a mechanic works on my car and I can't see what he's doing, that makes me nervous, because it's my car not his. I guess I have trust issues.lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:03 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

When I bought my 2002 Mustang in 2008 I knew that it was going to be a long term restoration project to get it where I wanted it to be. Once I had the mechanicals checked out my mission was to make this car look and sound like a GT. So over the past four years I have had the body work done and the car repainted as its previous owners were not so gentle or caring about the car.

Of course I was anxious to detail the car inside and out including the engine and then maintain it that way even as a daily driver. For me this was a midlife crisis where I was anxious to relive my youth as I grew up with the Mustang.

Working on this car and restoring it over the past four years has been a labor of love as I have turned my mild mannered V6 automatic into a more powerful and sportier car than even I imagined. :thumbsup2:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:20 am 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:45 am 

Due to time and equipment I have to classify myself as a "Driver and leave the mechanical to the mechanics".
I like to know what and how to do things but I also know when to ask for help.
I joined the club to help with learning and finding reliable people to work on my stang, like Bob.
Jim :pepper:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:24 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Much of the mechanical work done on my car including new brakes, rotors, calipers, ball joints and tie rods and fine tuning and raising my dual exhaust system so that it wouldn't scrape the driveway was done by Bob Thompson so I know it was done right.

Bob also installed my custom Ford pedal covers, my white faced instument cluster and the silver striping after I had the car repainted. Recently he installed a set of fog lights and hood struts and fixed loose wiring in my headlights.

Because of my arthritis and scoliosis in my back I've had to give up doing a lot of the easy mechanical work myself so I'm lucky to have found Bob to do these things for me. He has also worked on my wife's Mercury Mariner, replacing the brakes.

I was also fortunate to have found a local repair shop, Home Town Auto Repair in Finksburg, MD that we have been using for many years. They to are very honest and trustworthy. My only bad service experience came from Len Stoler Ford. I had gone there to have a new ignition key programmed and the service writer came out to tell me that I needed to have my brake fluid flushed and that my battery needed to be replaced. When I showed him my records indicating that I had recently had my brake system flushed and the battery tested he came up with all kinds of excuses. I came back later to discuss this with the Service Manager who apologized for the incident.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:28 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

Twitter:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:04 pm 
Past President
Past President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:27 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Levi,

We have a section on the Forum called Shops & Garages right under General Mustang Chatter where members can post about either good or bad experiences. Members can also inquire about where to go to have something specific done to their cars like window tinting for example.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:30 am 

I love my cars regardless of what they were. To me they were my everything from work transportation to vacation road tripper. At times I did have the nice car and a beater for work when I did construction. Take care of the car and it'll take care of you. I can't do as much as I used to on them since my injury, but I try to do as much as I can. Not having access to stuff like a shop for parts and whatnot like the lifts like I used to hurts the wallet (and my back) sometimes too. My GT continues to surprise and amaze me, I would hop in the 93 for something and it felt like a rattletrap... Ahh, technology.... Or maybe just I'm getting old? :confused2: I have tentative plans for the SVO to go to begin it's long awaited "spa treatment". Hopefully I get back to a job soon so I can afford it! Plus it'll be nice to fly down to Alabama for vacation and put in sweat equity on it!

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:23 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I've always babied and loved all of my cars, including company cars! Many of my cars remained in the family as I handed them down to my younger brothers.

Over the years I got the detailing bug and pretty soon all of my cars and SUV's looked like show cars. Whenever we would take a vacation and visit my parents in Delray Florida, I would always wash, wax and detail my fathers car inside and out.

Every Mother's Day I would detail my Mother-in Laws car for her as a present. This was her favorite present too. From 1996 to 2008 I was into SUV's. I had a 1996 Chevy Blazer, a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero Sport, and a 2008 Mercury Mariner.

I've had friends and family ask to buy my cars whenever I wanted or needed a new car because they knew how well it was taken care of.

Now that I no longer have to drive 30,000 a year for work, I can keep my cars looking good all of the time! :pepper:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

Last edited by Red Baron on Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:14 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

Twitter: