[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upgrading sound system
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:53 pm 

I would like to improve on the sound (music) quality of my radio. I've contacted 2 audio shops with each providing different solutions. The first shop suggested that I need only upgrade the existing stock speakers. They didn't specify whether that meant just the door speakers or all the interior speakers. The second shop recommended keeping the original speakers and adding a "sub-woofer" or amp, or something like that that would be installed in the trunk.

I'm not looking for that deep thumping bass that I hear from all those Honda Civics that the young kids drive. Just want improved sound quality, particularly with the top down.

Anyone with any experience in this area?

The car is: 2012 V6 convertible with nav system.

Post subject: Re: Upgrading sound system
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:50 am 

With nav you prolly have the Shaker 500. I've seen most folks just upgrade the rear deck speakers to Infinity reference series. The door has a sub and tweeter to it. I have non-nav shaker 500 in my 10 and it's fine for me...

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 pm 

If you do not want loud bass, you can get away with a 10" subwoofer in a sealed box. Its easy to replace your door speakers if you want to do it yourself. Check out to see what door speakers fit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:08 pm 

Does this subwoofer thing mean I don't need to upgrade speakers?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:58 pm 

The system ( ahem ) that came in my car was just lame and I upgraded everything. Everything that I've read, which was quite abit says the best starting point is ditch the cheap factory speakers. You have door subs so you may not need one in the trunk. I got some really good deals from - http://www.sonicelectronix.com/.

Doing the work yourself is easy and only takes about an hour or less for each door. The rear deck speaker are the challange and you may not even need to swap them, they are usually only for fill in and the fronts are for the sound stage. I have the JL audio component speakers in the front doors/ a-pillar and they sound nice. A sub woofer in the trunk will give your music a lot more body with out being boomy, but that's a lot more work then swapping the door speakers. The Crutchfeild website has a lot of good info but you pay premium for their stuff if it's not on sale, but you get premium support.

Hope this helps a little, I spent quite a few hour and $$ on mine. If you decide to go with the deck speakers I have some pioneers ts-d6802 that I bought for the front then replaced them with the JL audio. You can have them for $20. Only had them in for 4 months and I don't drive my Boss much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:20 pm 

Thanks for the link to sonic. Remember, I don't have a rear deck because it's a convertible. Should I think about switching out the rear speakers located along the sides of the rear seats?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 pm 

racered,

I looked up the Pioneers online. The closest ones I found were TS-D6802r. The difference being the "r" at the end. If these are the same speakers, and they fit in my car, I"ll take them. One question - what didn't you like about them?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:04 pm 

They sounded like they needed more mid range and less highs, the speakers were also in a bad location in the door so I went with a component set-up and put the tweeters on the a-pillars which gave me a better seperation vs. the coax firing from the mid door height. I went through a lot of trial and error to make it sound right. Your stereo probably sounds 100x's better then the base radio that was in my car. I have a set of the 6802's mounted in the rear deck and they sound fine there just not up front.

PS. I'll have to dig them out to see if they are 6802r, I bought them Aug. / Sept. 2011 a month before I put my car away for the winter. Where are you in reference to Baltimore? I can let you hear the ones I have in mine to give you an idea anyway, picture's and spec's don't really mean a thing if you can't hear them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 pm 

I live in Reisterstown and work in Timonium.

I'll wait to hear from you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:23 pm 

I sent you a PM. I'll have time tomorrow after 6pm, let me know if that works.