[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pinion / bearing problems
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:36 pm 

My howling-drivetrain 2012 V6 (with about 20K gentle miles) has metal shavings in the gear oil and needs multiple rear end bearings.

My local mechanic says it will cost about $1,200 to fix.

What is the cost to add some slightly more agressive gears while he's at it? I can't even put my V6 into 6th gear unless I'm doing 65 with a downhill tailwind.

I don't know all the parts involved etc. Not a gearhead.

Post subject: Re: Pinion / bearing problems
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:07 am 
Past President
Past President

I have 3.73s in my 13 and love them. They are the best for all around performance and daily driving. 331s are to high and 4.10s are to low in my opinion. 3.55 or 3.73 are the most common. Gears and bearing install should run around $8-$900 installed as long as you dont need the axles replaced. For $1100ish you can replace everything with a traction-loc diff. (aka posi) Im ballparking the price on the high side since I dont know the exact cost. BTW are you still under your powertrain warranty?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:28 am 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Sorry to hear the rear end died on you. That does not happen much. Tough Luck.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:43 am 

Thanks for the idea about the warranty on my 2012 Mustang. I called the local Ford dealer and have an appt for June 16th to eval if it would be covered. (I got it Fall 2011, well within the 5 years for drivetrain). He says they have to use Ford parts for warranty work, so there might be time needed to get them.

I asked him about changing the gearing at the same time, and he said I'd have to talk to parts.

So if this works out, I might save some dough, or at least be able to defray the cost of a gearing change. :) Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:48 pm 
President
President

I was going to mention that it should all be covered under warranty. Bob, the 11+ v6's come with "posi" from the factory. The last of the one wheel peel 6's was in 2010.

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:59 pm 

Just had my complete rear replaced under warranty it took 26 days to get the rear.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:32 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:53 pm 

Didn't ask for gear swap. They paid for the rental 2014 Mustang.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:38 pm 

I did the overnight dropoff for my Monday, June 16 appointment at the dealer to look at my pinion bearing noise issue.

I went to O.C. and called the dealer back on Thursday and was told the car was repaired under warranty. They locked the keys in the car so I could do a Sunday pickup on the way home. Looks like they replaced the bearings in the differential. They also did a multi-point inspection and only found that the washer fluid needed topping off.

I'm thinking of swapping to a cheap older car since I hardly drive mine because I work from home. We take the Civic on family trips. Anyone looking for a white 2012 V6 with a manual transmission with only 23K miles on it? Since my chrome aftermarket rims were pitted, I just put the original rims/tires with little wear back on the car.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:55 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

I will have to pass. I don't have room to keep another Mustang.