[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Test Drive my tires…
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:14 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

The short story:
"If someone has a car that runs 90+ MPH without a vibration and could try my wheels on their car, we can see if my tires/wheels are bad."

The Fool Story:
I have a vibration in my Mustang that I cannot track down. I can start to feel it at about 76 MPH but it really sets in at about 82 MPH. I have not tied to drive through it.
Here is what I have done so far:
1. I have clocked the driveshaft.
2. I have had the tires balanced.
3. I have balanced the driveshaft with new U-Joints.
4. I have changed the clutch.
5. I have changed the transmission
6. I have changed the motor.
7. I have pulled the motor and balanced the rotating assembly.
8. I have upgraded the rear axles.

So I gave up and took it to a real mechanic. They suggested I take to a specialty rim shop and have them do a High Speed wheel balance. I was going to do this until I found out they wanted 120.00 plus tax. So, I am looking for a cheap test to verify the issue before I waste more money. If someone has a car that runs 90+ MPH without a vibration and could try my wheels on their car, we can see if the tires/wheels are bad. They are a 5 lug wheels on a 1995 Mustang.

Post subject: Re: Test Drive my tires…
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:23 pm 
Past President
Past President

Run it on the lift. Bet its the driveshaft! Put an aluminum on in it and be done!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:35 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:23 pm 

Not sure your age of car but could it be one of those tire sensors that got broken when you had your tires installed? I say this because I had this problem and it took a few months and finally people took responsibility and R&R the sensor. Just a thought regarding the vib issues.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:32 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

My car is old enough that it does not have a tire sensors. Thanks for the suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:41 am 
Past President
Past President

Loose nut behind the wheel?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:53 am 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Absolutely, but that is not the vibration/shaking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:11 pm 
Past President
Past President

Too much coffee?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:48 pm 

Do you feel it in the wheel or the seat of your pants or both? I had some new tires that were rebalanced several time and it sort of felt like water was in the tire's, it did move with the tires ( rotated front to back ). The only fix was having 2 replaced, they where new, so it was under warranty but Merchants couldn't explain it. Must have been a bad mixing of the rubber and only showed while on the road. If you still want to test it, mine's stable to 140, haven't had it any higher.

Last edited by racered302 on Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:51 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:10 pm 

I looked around a little bit and your wheels won't fit my car, the rims won't clear the caliper.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:28 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:26 pm 

Dave,

I sent another reply to your email. Your idea for a "test" makes me really nervous. Have your spoken to JJ of Woodbine Motor Sports? Bob suggested him to me last year to have Bebe dynotuned and she does pretty darn good for an '00 Supercharged GT with absolutely no vibration - he did a really awesome job on the engine. :btu: I sent you a link in your email. I guess we can talk tomorrow.

Bebe - '00 GT - Supercharged!
and
'Da New 'n Totally Kool R2

:3gears:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:57 am 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Thanks. I don’t want you to do anything you are not comfortable doing. When I started to think of people comfortable driving that fast and do it often, you were the first one I thought of. :3gears:
No worries. It will get dealt with. I was just trying to get this and my new transmission setup done by Drag Day. That date is coming up soon and I am runnig out of time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 am 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 pm 

Dave,
Do you notice the vibration when the tires are cool or after they have been warmed up?
A friend of mine had a similiar problem and they corrected it by doing the spin balance after the tires warm corrected the problem.
A thought.
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:16 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:51 pm 

I never gave it any thought about me being a copper and you can ask Bob and James I am a square working stiff. Yep online the world see's our conversations so I appreciate your concerns. I would totally agree of the frustration you must be going through with an open money pit situation. I asked about the speed because I thought you might do road course stuff and being that so much stuff changes with turns and hard brake usage and hard on the gas which could make the tires slip on the rims. Is it likely? Yeah but you have to really be putting down hard every lap.

I hope you figure it out soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:04 am 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:33 pm 

how long you had this car? bounce off any curbs, hit pot holes too fast? maybe not you but something just doesn't make sense here and I bet it is something simple and right in your face too.