[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: i knew it wouldn't be long....till.....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:16 pm 

ok...saw a small driplet last week....lalalalalala....then no drips for days....start car up the other morning...look under car and theres a heavy drip...crawl under the car at 6:30 am and it's cold...brrrr....oil dripping from behind oil filter adapter...looks like a new gasket and a dirty job coming up for me..I have the gasket, oil , filter and new coolant.any tips before i get started..I'm going to flush radiator while I'm at it and of course change the oil..... seems to be a common problem in the 4.6 litres..common?

Post subject: Re: i knew it wouldn't be long....till.....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:24 pm 

I am a little confused here: You said oil filter gasket correct and not the oil pan gasket? Maybe it was the wrong filter size? Or am I off the reservation? Since I haven't done any research on line about the subject but I think these newer cars use high temp RTV which is pretty reliable. Just gotta get the area clean and it'll set up nice if you are dropping the pan. Would this require a new oil pump?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:55 am 

just a gasket that's all...thank goodness..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:42 am 
Past President
Past President

Removal

Drain the cooling system.
Disconnect the lower radiator hose.
Raise and support the vehicle.
Drain the engine oil.

Remove the oil filter adapter.
1 Remove the oil bypass filter.
2 Remove the bolts.
3 Remove the oil filter adapter.
4 Clean and inspect the sealing surfaces.

Installation
To install, reverse the removal procedure.

1.1hrs labor.

Its pretty simple to do. The 5.4`s are a little more time consuming.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:04 am 

I learned something new today, hadn't a clue about that and since my 5.0 doesn't have this I was clueless....Fasfox sounds like you have the goods on the job at hand.
:grinking:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:19 pm 

yea...way different than the old foxy... i need it to warm up just a tad although

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:23 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:01 pm 

lol....tank killer :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:43 pm 

I've never noticed that on my '01. It's tight as a drum...but then again mine only has 42,000 miles on it. I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'm getting ready to change the oil for winter so I'll check it out.

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:04 pm 

probably good at your miniscule 42k. :btu: Something to check though while your at it.Hopefully the miles won't go up on Sonic too much from here on out but this beast has 127K on the clock..i knew i was in for some of this and some of that but then again I expected this.... and that.... to pop up. ....and i found the owners manual ...woohoo :thumbsup2:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:29 pm 

What are the chances of getting a couple of pictures of this so I can visually have an idear?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:50 am 

once i get under there I'll try to remember to snap a couple pics....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:27 am 

That'd be great. And I guess this might be you when you are not out with the ponies circa 1981?

Attachments:
playing-soldier.jpg
playing-soldier.jpg [ 12.61 KiB | Viewed 7052 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:14 pm 

that pic might be circa 1968.. i was 21 and a new father in 1981...and didn't have time for nuttin back then..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:55 pm 

no, i didnt know that pic. Cant remember its been a long time since i saw that movie. I'm more the pc gamer though..btw..got the gasket in and all is good, snapped a couple pics but photobucket is being ridiculous.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:52 pm 

Awesome and gladd that worked out. Have a Happy Turkey day.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:24 am 

getting started.....
the culprit...
the bad gasket.....
old gasket top ,new gasket bottom....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:43 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Thanks for the pics of this repair. Oil leaks are have always been a pain in the butt as far back as I can remember. My first few cars while I was in college were always used cars that always had oil leaks.

By replacing that bad gasket you should have solved your problem. Hopefully there won't be too many more surprises with your newest pony! :btu:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:52 pm 

thanks for the pictures and like I said before I learned something new with your repair.