[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2012 Mustang V6 Convertible Handling
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:15 pm 

Greetings from Reisterstown

I currently own a 2001 BMW CIC (convertible) 5 speed manual transmission. As the car is 11 years old I'm considering purchasing a 2012 Mustang Premium Convertible (6 speed manual).

Will the Mustang handle as well as the Beemer on winding back roads?

Is the Mustang's interior quiet, with the top up, at highway cruising?

I may have been spoiled by the BMW.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: 2012 Mustang V6 Convertible Handling
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:35 pm 
President
President

I imagine it would be pretty difficult to find a manual transmission v6 convertible, so a dealer may have to factory order one for you.

I cant speak of the convertibles or the new V6, but I know that my 5.0 was whisper quiet on the interior before I added louder exhaust. The 2010 v6 that I had before this handled the twisties very nicely though, and the gt is even better.

There are also many aftermarket suspension parts available for the mustang if you are looking to upgrade.

Take a few minutes and watch this comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOwSPccbzl4

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:21 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Our Beemer is very quiet on the highway with the top up. Much quieter and comfortable than our Miata. It doesn't handle particularly well particularly compared to the Miata. We are getting to old to be comfortable during long rides so we decided to sell both cars and get 1 new one. Have been looking at the 135I and the V6 Premium Mustang.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:35 pm 
President
President

I would recommend renting a convertible v6, will most likely be an auto but it will give you an idea about how it sounds on the interior, will answer your handling questions, as well as let you see if you and your significant other can handle long drives in the mustang.

Also will only cost a couple hundred to rent instead of finding out after paying close to $30,000+ for one. Hope this helps

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:10 am 

Well hey mines not a convertible or the 2011 but it handles great. Its a 2009 v6 manual. Its for sale to if your interested

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 pm 

There are no similar Mustangs to rent in our area.

I need to make a decision soon as I'm supposed to pick the car up this weekend.

I can't imagine the car would handle poorly. Hopefully, better than a Camry.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:09 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:37 pm 

It appears that Ford doesn't offer the performance package on the convertible - only the coupe. I am hoping that the Mustang offers a cruising experience similar to our BMW and similar handling to my Miata. I'm getting too old to be comfortable in the Miata (not fun on the highways). And, the BMW is getting too old for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:42 pm 
Past President
Past President

I can make your car handle any way you like. All you have to do is drive it, tell me what you like or don't like about the handling and I can easily customize the suspension. I do it all the time. You can ask anyone here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:19 pm 

Bob, see my prior post. I was hoping that the handling characteristics of the Mustang, prior to any mods, would be somewhat similar to the cars I will be selling. I'm supposed to buy the Mustang next week (it's out out of state). I'm not opposed to mods.

I've driven a Toyota Solara and was not impressed with its roadability. Reminded me of a Buick. I sure hope the Mustang is significantly better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:40 pm 
President
President

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:28 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:35 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

It sounds like you're already sold on the V-6 Premium Mustang convertible so this video probably reinforced your decision to buy one.

Too bad about the rear passenger cup holders though! :banana2:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:19 pm 
President
President

You are welcome! Glad to help :btu:

cup holders = possibilty of having a liquid beverage that could spill and mess up the seats or carpet. :nono:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:48 am 
Newsletter Editor
Newsletter Editor

Can't tell you anything about the 6s or the Verts, but in general stock mustangs don't handle that bad. My wifes '05 GT is the base version with no handling upgrades and I can throw it around like my BlackJack. Only differences I notice on the streets is the suspension is a little bit softer(more body roll, but don't feel as many bumps), and the brakes aren't as quick in a hard stop. Also, even the V8 with the stock exhaust is faily quiet on the highway at cruise. No problems at all holding a conversation at 75+ mph. The only time it seems to really talk is when you get into it hard. I don't know if that wil be usefull info for you or not, but good luck.

Adam S.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:43 pm 

Yes, your comments were useful.

BTW - One of favorite convertible rides is to Easton for dinner.

Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:36 am 

Car is supposed to arrive this week. 2012 premier V6 convertible with 6 speed manual. Kona blue with stone interior. Nav system. HID headlights.

Hope to pick it up this Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:37 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:40 pm 
President
President

Congrats! I'm sure you will be happy with your new Stang!