[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to quiet a 2002 GT exhaust?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:42 pm 

I bought this car used 7 years ago. It came with Flowmasters, or SOME kind of loud exhaust. I had Meineke put mufflers on it, and then Tony's custom exhaust put mufflers on it, but it is still loud. It seems to drone at 2,000 rpm. Does anyone know of someone that might be able to help? My 87 and 90 5 liter LXs were quiet until you accelerated briskly. Thank you very much in advance!

Post subject: Re: How to quiet a 2002 GT exhaust?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:32 pm 

Nothing I guess you should put some sound deading material under your carpet or drive above or below 2K. I have the same problem and I have a GT and I guess it is an inherit problem.

:banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:42 am 

I run o/r prochamber and cherry bomb resonators. no drone. quiet till you step on it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:50 am 
Past President
Past President

Do you have cats? are they high flow?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:08 am 

I don't know if I have hi flow catalytic converters. Does off road pipes mean no cats? Thanks for everybody's help!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:46 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

You are correct.
Most times Off-Road H or X pipes usually mean no Cats.

BTW,
Welcome to the MCoM forums.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:38 pm 
Past President
Past President

The reason I ask is because if you have no cats or high flow cats you will have some drone. If you have stock cats you can run almost any muffler with no drone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:46 pm 

Thanks Mr. Rummel, and Bob T. How would one be able to tell the difference between stock cats and performance cats? I imagine cats are expensive? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:00 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Correct again. Cats are rarely cheap, even stock parts. Since most people making modifications are moving away from the stock exhaust, maybe someone in the club or on CraigsList is selling thier stock cats. Most aftermarket cats will have the thier brand name on them, ie BBK. So we need to get a look at what you have. If you don't have a way to get under the car and look, Bob might be able to help you if you are near Westminister and I am on the North East side of Baltimore.

Or maybe someone can start the video on thier iPhone and you can SLOWLY stradle the phone with your car as you drive over the phone.
It would have to be someone that REALLY trust you. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:37 pm 

How very kind of you Mr. Rummel. I like in Joppatowne. So at your convenience, sir, I would really appreciate this. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:31 am 

Thank you very much. Whenever is most convenient for you will be splendid. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:34 am 

The car is not lowered.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:01 am 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Check your PM box. I'd like to arrange a time today or tomorrow look at your car.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:10 am 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Greg,
I will get to posting the pictures later this week. I talked to Bob about your exhaust and he thinks your HPipe is stock. So I was wrong. His next statement surprised me. He asked if you have a stock air box. I don't think you do. He suggest you install a stock Air box to help quite that exhaust.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2004-Musta ... 0842124917

Maybe someone has upgraded and has their stock unit sitting around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:08 am 
Past President
Past President

The open air cleaners will give you a moan\drone sound. You exhaust is stock so I know thats not your noise. Look there and I bet that will be your problem with noise. :thumbsup2:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:50 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Here are the pictures I promised.

Stock Exhaust manifolds:

I thought the H Pipe was after market because the bends look mandrel bent, but Bob says they are stock. Ford has improved their exhaust parts since I got my 1995 stock exhaust.

Ford Mufflers:
http://www.drrummel.com/Mustang/Greg2002/Muffler.JPG

Exhaust Sound: