[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need a MD inspection
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:20 pm 

hey all I just recently picked up my sixer but but was wondering if there was anyone that could help me out with inspection as I purchased the car with no airbags very foggy/hazed lights and there is an issue with my E-brake it works just needs an adjustment i believe but you can email me or pm me
PGFDrescue49@me.com
or call or text: Shelby@ 240-234-6509
Thanks

Post subject: Re: need a MD inspection
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:41 pm 

Well if you are wanting a no BS straight inspection, I'd go to the dealer because it is a Ford and that is what they do. I mean the inspection is the same cost no matter where you go.

Just sayin.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:23 pm 

no im looking more of a just pass me inspection so that i can get my car on the road to go to work and actually make the money to replace these things

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:08 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:05 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:44 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:06 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

You don't see too many "marginal cars" in New York State! I used to live in Syracuse, NY and in NY State every car has to have a yearly State Inspection! :yikes:

The good news was that back in the early 70's most cars only lasted 3-4 years before they had rusted out even if they were Ziebarted! :angry:

Talk about a racket, this was a gold mine for NY State Inspection Stations! :bs:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:21 pm 

I have a good navy buddy who lives in N. Syracuse and he once worked at the mopar plant. But anyways he always told me that you needed a "winter rat" and you park you nice car for the season. See I'm from the Panahandle of Texas and our winters were harsh with a lot of wind and cold temps and very little snow unlike ya'll living off the lakes.

But having a vehicle inspection station would raise money to offset some taxes we are being bent over for...just sayin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

When we lived in Syracuse, or Liverpool a suburb to be exact, we took a trip to the Thousand Islands above Watertown, NY on the St. Lawrence River.

On the guided boat tour the guide would point out the various Islands and tell us who actually owned the islands. Most of the islands were owned by well to do families, some who made their money during prohibition or other not so legal ways, and others by successful business owners. Quite a few of them owned auto dealerships.

I'll never forget hearing the guide point out a large Island and say; "Ladies and gentlemen the Island off to your right is owned by Joe Bombard owner of Joe Bombard Buick in Syracuse, NY." This was in 1973 and the least expensive house on any of the Islands at that time cost over $250,000! That's not counting the cost of the Island!

It turned out that Joe Bombard and his family owned a number of dealerships in the Syracuse area and with the short term life expectancy of any car had a really nice business opportunity for repeat customers!

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:37 pm 

Amazing how times have changed with the cars and trucks we have. And the weather paterns tooooooo and no this wasn't a hint of ole Al Gore either and global warming.

Upstate there had a lot of industry back then ya know. Now you go up there and it is a real ghost town and it is sad to see that place.

Well inspections are in some ways a real good thing because it keeps vehicles a lot safer if only in theory in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:37 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Back when I lived in Syracuse the big employers were General Electric and Chrysler. Of course being a major college town, Syracuse University was also a big employer too.

I was working for the National Brewing Company where I was a Field Manager with responsibility for calling on and servicing our beer distributors throughout Eastern Upstate NY. I had 12 distributors in my territory and we marketed Colt 45 Malt Liquor. I worked with the distributors and their sales and merchandising people to promote our products. Later we started marketing Malt Duck, a flavored Malt Liquor product.

I had several distributors offer me jobs but my wife really didn't want to live in Upstate NY. I was transferred back to Baltimore where we had family and worked there for another two years before I was recruited to work elsewhere.

I did have two company cars, a 1972 Chevy Impala Custom Coupe and a 1974 Ford Galaxie during my time in NY. I also bought a 1964 Ford Thunderbird that I had planned to restore. I had cleaned it up and had enough work done on it to pass NY State Inspection. Had I kept the car I would have had to rebuilt the engine and transmission which I was planning to do. I had the car stored in a barn in Hamilton, NY near Colgate University when I was transferred back to Baltimore. Another Field Manager had seen photos of the car and bought it from me so I never got to finish the project.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:00 am 

My friend's dad worked @ carrier and was able to retire before the company moved to the Carolinas in the mid 80's.
My dad was a traveling man and so he had a new car every two years and so he'd always have big motors and all the bells and whistles. Go out and rip out anything that would restrict air flow and have twice pipes underneath. Of course in the 80's cars just sucked and so he was getting V-6's and he'd break'm in to run and they did but as the world changed so did the need for him and his skills. Had some good times riding in the right seat with him, and planned on going into trucking once I go out of the Navy because I could keep that left door closed and go like hell. DOT rules changed so much and in many ways they needed to restrict these OTR drivers because many were/ARE not disiplined to follow the rules and stay off the uppers and many people have gotten killed.

I was up on the road a while back running right seat with our company, needed to hot shot some parts and we had a leased Freight shaker and it had a big 500 Detriot with a 10 speed automatic trans and it would run over some moutains and just hum all day. We'd ride and guide like being in a Lincoln and the A/C would freeze the ever loving off ya and it was like 110 plus out in the desert! I brought my down sleeping bag to stay warm in the sleeper while I was off duty. With the hours we could drive it took us 4.5 days to get out to Seal Beach and we were going hard keeping the doors closed and outside of fuel we didn't need anything else.

Since we were doing a special run we had certain paper work and stuff so we didn't need to roll over the scales and the DOT left us alone. But a lot f those big trucks that come south over the border are POS and the DOT have to shut them down because they are hazards. there are plenty of POS on the roads in the US as well and if you knew they were next to you on say I-97 or 695 you'd be getting past them and not riding next to them. If you never seen a big truck tire let loose you need to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXEQ7SaWgw8 throwing that gator out on the road with the debris....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:23 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

As an outside sales rep I had plenty of jobs that would average 25,000 miles plus each year. It was not uncommom for me to put 130,000 to 150,000 miles on a vehicle. That's where I learned the value of preventive maintenance.

My younger brother needed a car so I arranged it for him to buy my 1972 Chevy Impala Custom Coupe when the lease ran out. When the car came back to Maryland with over 50,000 road miles on it, the disck brakes were basically brand new. he didn't have to put a nickel into the car.

Two years later when I transferred back to Baltimore I didn't recognize the car! The vinyl dash had cracked open and the seats had tears in them and the paint and body were ruined. He just trashed the car and it really hurt me to see it end this way. My younger brother just wasn't into cars so he didn't bother to take care of any of his cars.

I did have a weird experience once on I95 between Baltimore and Washington. I saw a pickup truck lose a back wheel and tire. I was a distance away from him when this happened but was pinned in the center lane as the other two lanes had heavy traffic and I couldn't move out of the center lane if I wanted to. The tire and wheel came at me bouncing along and fortunately for me bounced over my car! It eventually kept bouncing until it ran off of the road. I could see this wheel and tire coming right at me and thinking that this is going to crash through my front windshield.
Scary stuff!

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:41 pm 

Wow now that is a pucker moment!
What a twist this topic has gone through...I am glad we don't have vehicle inspections but I wouldn't be totally against it if they added more gas taxes in the future. A 20 dollar vehicle inspection every 2 years vise a 10 or 20 cent gas tax.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:55 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

If there is a tax or fee to extract extra money out of the pockets of the citizens the politicians in Maryland will find it for sure!

The gas tax is the most repressive of all because it harms the lower income people where it takes more out of their disposable income. When energy prices rise the whole economy suffers. Higher food prices and higher prices for everything we buy as the added cost of transportation is always passed on to the citizens. :angry:

But we digress from the subject of this posting about State Inspections.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

Last edited by Red Baron on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:03 pm 

Yes indeed we did and you made some good points.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:20 pm 

And now they're talking about more gas tax and a mileage tax!! WTF....

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:34 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:32 pm 

i'm in the same boat...not the easy way out inspection boat..I just need an inspection and i want it today(or any day i call) and i dont want to have to leave my car for a couple of days or whatever... Can I just be there...sheesh......no one wants me to wait there for the car..I dont care if it takes 2 hours...I know it will pass..just want it quick...ok,my rant is over