[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This Makes Me Sick
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:03 pm 

http://horsepowerkings.com/sources-ford ... fter-2017/

Not gonna be the same. Ricer Mustangs?

Post subject: Re: This Makes Me Sick
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:11 pm 

YUCK!

If they do that, I can only imagine it would last one year, because the outrage from enthusiasts would be deafening.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:16 pm 

I believe the mazda rx7 was going to be the Mustang long ago

1985 Mustang Gt Red convertible

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:35 pm 

I know the Probe was supposed to the be the new Mustang but cooler heads prevailed and they didn't do it. Thank goodness.

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 am 

Hopefully Ford reconsiders this. It would be a shame with all of the potential that the Coyote is showing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:54 am 

:cussing: This is highly disturbing...if it's true, I'm sure glad I got my hands on a 5.0 when I did.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:11 pm 

Ok, a counter article...
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/ford-o ... -from.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:36 pm 

must be bigger picture saber rattling from the others in the big 3. Also with Ford playing house in the global market it could be to stay in line with the European small engine market. I could be all wrong on this and also the oil prices might be going to tank and then having the 4/6 bangers will be the mark of the future in most platforms.

Time will tell as the Raptor will a 3.5 ecoboost in 2017.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:20 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

When I read the first article about Ford dropping the V8 I thought that this is history repeating itself. Back in the early 1970's after the Arab oil embargo, there was a mad rush to create fuel efficient cars. The big three, Ford, GM and Chrysler were not prepared for this monumental shift in the marketplace. Meanwhile Honda, Toyota and Datsun(Nissan) were already selling small, fuel efficient cars in the US and making huge inroads into market share.

There was also pressure on the automakers from the EPA to reduce emissions and clean up the environment. These were the dark days for the auto industry. We had gone from the muscle car era to the econobox era almost overnight. While V8 engines managed to stay around for a few more years they were so underpowered due to emission control, detuning and the use of 87 octane gas that they no longer were considered performance engines anymore.

Yes, there was a time when Ford who was partnered with Mazda was considering dropping the Mustang in favor of the front wheel drive Probe. And then the letters from Mustang enthusiasts started coming into Ford. They didn't congratulate Ford for their marketing genius but rather questioned their sanity in trying to eliminate an iconic car that was to these people the only reason they would buy a Ford! Ford management took notice and realized that the Mustang brand was indeed worth saving so they tasked John Coletti with redesigning a new Mustang that embodied the original pony cars attributes but also embraced the new age styling that would entice a new generation of Mustang enthusiasts. Thus came the 1994 Mustang which accomplished their goal.

It is no secret that this current administration has upped the ante with the car makers to dramatically improve their CAFE fleet fuel mileage ratings. This is definitely a challenge for the automakers although a new administration could delay or cut back on these draconian measures.

But lets look at the big picture. The performance V8 engines in the Mustangs, SUVs and Pickup trucks are a relatively small number compared to the four and six cylinder engines that make up the bulk of Fords being manufactured and sold. Only a small portion of the Mustangs sold are V8s. The bulk of Mustang sales are V6 and now with the four cylinder ecoboost engine being available the V8 production is even less of an issue. The V8s to their credit also get decent fuel mileage these days but with the government shooting for CAFE numbers approaching 35 miles per gallon or more it does create a lot of pressure on the performance end of the spectrum.

But lets compare today to the 1970s. When the muscle cars died due to the EPA and the Insurance Companies there were no other performance cars to take their place. Today we have 4 and 6 cylinder engines that have greater performance than the old nostalgic GTOs, Road Runners, 442s, Mach Is, and even the massive 428 Cobra Jet Mustangs.

This time the manufacturers have the time to protect themselves and their investments in their V8 performance programs.
At least that's how it look from a historic perspective.

The Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:56 pm 

Read a story about the Raptor in 2017 going strictly to the 3.5 eco boost less the current 6.2 liter V-8.

This gas thing might get blown out of control and maybe Ford is trying to be at the ground floor?