[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2015 Mustang
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:43 am 

Ford is giving a complete redesign of the 2015 Mustang, which will be released as the 50th anniversary model. Do a Google search for the 2015 Mustang and you'll see a number of concept, I honestly do not like the body style. Ford, in my opinion, is trending away from the American muscle car and what it stands for by getting rid of the solid rear axle and getting input from other countries. Plus, the 2015 Mustang will be the start at when Ford will go international with the car, selling it in Europe and Asia too. That is not really a bad thing, as opening the market to foreign buyers will increase sales.

Here is an internet article of the latest rendering, as well all know, concept cars almost never look like the production car. I am keeping my fingers crossed that Ford will not mess up this one.

Post subject: Re: 2015 Mustang
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 2:15 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

There has been a lot of speculation about what Ford was planning to do with the Mustang for it's 50th Anniversary. The current styling is not too far off from the major redesign the Mustang underwent in 2005 when Ford went "retro" trying to use the styling cues from the 1969 Mustang.

Ford has always wanted to make the Mustang a car that it could sell globally so this new design will gave them the opportunity to build a car that would still be popular with it's current customer base, yet allow them to introduce it to other countries.

The Mustang has done very well with its current live axel but adding an independent rear suspension will make the car an even better handling machine. Ford is obviously trying to make all of their cars look similar with their EVO Styling. The new car will be more rounded with softer styling versus the sharp, angular styling of the 2005 and newer Mustangs.

Ford always takes a risk of offending it's loyal Mustang owners whenever it attempts to change a popular body style but if styling doesn't evolve than you risk losing customers to other sporty cars that have evolved in their styling. All cars, including Corvettes have changed their styling over the years.

Besides, Ford is looking at a younger demographic to target Mustang sales. This new styling shape is more European looking and will appeal to customers who want a true American sports car. A smaller, lighter Mustang is closer to the original car itself and would do well in a market with unstable gas prices.

The current powerplants are very potent with a 300 hp 3.7 liter V-6, the the 425 hp 5.0 liter V-8.
I can see Ford introducing a hopped up Ecoboost 4 cylinder engine in the near future to offer improved fuel economy, yet plenty of power. This is especially important for sales outside the US where gas prices are very high.

Everyone is excited to see what Ford has in store for us when they celebrate the Mustang's 50th anniversary in 2015. Let's hope that they can satisfy the traditionalist and the new generation who will be buying these cars in the future.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:49 am 

interesting points Midnight Blue regarding the current stlye and global appeal. That picture is too much like a focus and be it a focus is a decent car it leaves much to be desired over the current style stang.

Speaking of motors and economy and power with regards to the 3.7 liter. Liked the motor sound and the available power but even under light throttle over the road it didn't achieve 30 MPG. I was out in Arizona and the legal speed on I-10 is 80 and so those numbers go out the window. the eco-boost idear is cool and the miles logged in the millions of miles shows to be a good balance and I know that the after-market world could have heaps of stuff to go faster. I am funny about turbos and putting out more power than they can handle and that means I'd remove and replace (R&R) stock turbo with nasty turbo to make heaps of power. This is if an ecoboost was in the mix? Mustang to me is V-8 grabbing stratch and popping wheelies. I reckon I am a kid at heart on the subject of neck snapping horse power. :3gears:

I've been a Ford car/truck owner for over 30 years and this is my first stang, but my point is Ford makes a great product but performance is always on the shoulder compared to GM and Dodge and that really needs to get right to have dominance of race on sunday and sell on monday.

My thoughts on the subject and maybe the real 2015 will be agressive and yet a global success?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:18 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

I read an article a couple days ago that included images of the new concept and I gotta say, I was instantly scared for the rep of the stang. I understand the need to evolve and I understand the need to compete on an international level but at what cost? Apparently the designs have already been approved for the new look but have yet to be officially released.

The article went on to say that the 05' retro campaign did its job and boosted sales for a number of years but in 2011 sales took a nose dive and haven't improved much at all.

If nothing else, it will be interested to see what they come up with. fingers crossed.

AIM: levijwardell
Twitter:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:35 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Mustang sales skyrocketed when the revised 2005 Mustang came to market. The combination of classic Mustang looks and improved performance continued to drive Mustang sales until 2011.

At that time both the Chevrolet Camaro and the Dodge Challenger took a bite out of the Pony Car market that Ford owned. This is what happened in 1967 when GM had to scurry to find a competitor to the Mustang, which defined this new market.

Now facing a permanent three car market Ford has decided to restyle the Mustang to attract new younger buyers. A lot of the success of the 2005-2012 Mustang is that many older customers who once had Mustangs in their youth wanted to relive that nostalgic time. The classic design also attracted many younger buyers who liked the timeless sporty long hood, short deck styling of the Mustang.

I just saw read an article showing the new Mustang as a concept derived to look like a Jaguar in it's styling. It is a vastly different look than than the current model but it is intented to appeal to a younger, more technologically sophisticated buyer. It is also designed to be sold as a global platform.

Ford knows that this deviation from the original Pony Car will not be well received by many older Mustang enthusiasts but it is betting on the future and not the past. There will always be traditional Mustang enthusiasts who will cherish the particular Mustang they like best but Ford is looking to plant seeds for a new crop of Mustang enthusiast that will continue to take the brand
into the next several decades.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:00 pm 

Yeah this is where Ford screws up like the Mustang Ghia and many of us remember that one, heck it was better to have a Pinto than a Mustang and this isn't to trash anyone who may have a Ghia or Cobra. Just finding a good balance and that competitive edge to compete with 6.1 liter hemi or427 CI is something Ford has not been able to do with much success. I hope the history won't repeat itself like in the early 70's with the EPA taking a bite out of horse power and fuel cost and mileage. Eco-boost could be cool if you can gouge on it and also not totally flush it out the back you know. I have a Fox body and it will be my car for a long time. So if it those younger buyers then I hope they are and have done the homework.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:52 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

6-71,

We may be spoiled now as we were in the late 60's into 1970 before emissions and insurance companies took away all horsepower.

The only saving grace is that we now the technology to give us really good performance with smaller engines. Who would have ever thought we'd be seeing 300 hp V6 engines in base Mustangs?

There are a lot of difficult decisions that car makers need to make when restyling and redesigning a car with the pedigree of the Mustang which will soon be celebrating it's 50th Anniversary.

I addition to styling the manufacturers have to consider corporate fuel economy standards, the cost of fuel in the future and how to market this car globally. It's a big task and one that takes a lot in consideration for it's existing fans and for those new buyers the company is trying to reach. But then that's why they get paid the big bucks, right?

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:47 am 

Interesting point you make and I have to defer to the Corvette and the peaks and valley's they have endured for over 50 years. In that case with that platform I believe there are no more than 4 styles they may currently share and they are options and power plant driven. I would say that in the movement toward 50 years as a icon of freedom, motorsports and worldwide vision I hope that Ford is looking at how it will stay on top and yet be cool across the board. In '05 that set up was a great look across the board either in a 6 or 8 and it has evolved into a real b1tchen car and it is an attainable vehicle for many.

So a balance maybe the key to saving the Mustang name because Ford IMHO has no problem in dropping it from the inventory if it ain't selling and that would be a loss and a great question mark in history possibly.

:usaflag:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:45 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I don't think that Ford will go down that road again where it considered dropping the Mustang. There was time in the late 80's and early 90's when Mustang sales were pretty dismal and Ford considered partnering with Mazda to create a front wheel drive car modeled after the Ford Probe to replace the Mustang.

As then, Ford General Manager Ross Martin said, the letters came in from all over the country. These we're not complimentary letters telling Ford that they were marketing geniuses but rather questioned whether they even knew what they were doing! Some of the letters questioned their sanity and personal family heritage!

The message was quite simple in that the Mustang was a cultural icon, a classic car with a very loyal and vocal group of enthusiasts. Ford decided to can the idea of getting rid of the Mustang and then fixing the aging Fox body platform into a modern version of the original Mustang.

A team was developed under the leadership of John Coletti, who was heavily involved in the SVT Program, to save the Mustang. They were given a relatively small budget and permission to think "outside the box" and use whatever means necessary to complete their task in an almost impossible time frame.

They had to do a lot of unorthodox things such as getting input from average assembly line workers, managers and non-managers, engineers and marketing people. The result was that they achieved their goal of getting the car done before the deadline and in at $200,000 under budget. The group came up with three prototype models, the Bruce Jenner which was sleek and athletic, the Sylvester Stallone Rambo model which was hard edge and in your face and finally the Arnold Schwartzeneger model which was bold and muscular. These were the the 1994-1999 model Mustangs and like the original concept Mustangs reawakened a waiting market.

Ford is forever tied to the Mustang and will do everything in it's power to see that the Mustang continues to be a successful model in their new car lineup. The Mustang is the special child that will always be given extra love and care by it's corporate mother.

I was personally disappointed when Ford let the Thunderbird die off. This was another popular car that for many years served as the leader in the personal luxury car market. Instead of updating the T-Bird, Ford let it die a slow sales death. They tried to bring back a nostalgic version of the original 2 seat Thunderbird but only on a limited basis. Despite all the hype these new baby birds did not live up to their potential and have not appreciated in value as many had hoped.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:46 pm 

I wasn't aware of those SVT models you mentioned which is pretty interesting. I just hope Ford can achieve something that sells and makes dodge and chevy in a jaw dropping stare for a while.

We'll see I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:50 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

You can check out my History of the Mustang reports in past issues of the Stampede, the club's newsletter. If you go back to the very beginning I describe how the Mustang came to be and in each monthly newsletter and in each months next newsletter we discuss the chronological story of the Mustang right up to the present.

Each history report covers specific model years of the Mustang and talks about the major changes that each successive model had. It is really interesting stuff!

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:41 am 

Thanks, I am actually new to having a classic car ever in my life. Had some cars and trucks but never had one I could enjoy outside my normal commute. I've read about my model but I'd like to find out more specifics on paint for example. That hasn't been a clear to me and some colors like the 7-up stang was a rare one with very limited numbers. The Fox platform was a pretty old one (79-93) with cosmetics over the years.

I thought I knew cars ut I may have gotten lost in translation....meaning career, school, family, deployments and more deployments and finally deployments and I just got lost in what I thought I knew and it wasn't jack :confused3: So anyways when I am learning and thinking of what I wanna do to my car and what I'll actually do those areas are pretty clear.
And I won't be having it look tchotchke either.

maybe some spy photos can leak out on the 2015 stang and I gotta ask is WTFO? :eek:

Attachments:
2015-mustang-preview.jpg
2015-mustang-preview.jpg [ 183.66 KiB | Viewed 5191 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:52 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

As speculation grows about the 2015 Mustang many automotive magazines like the conventional Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Automobiles and the specialty magazines like Mustang Monthly and 5.0 Mustangs are all trying to give us a glimpse of the future as they see it unfolding.

I guess that's part of the game. It's in Ford's best interest to encourage this type of speculative journalism going as it keeps the 2015 Mustang in the news and fresh on our minds. It also causes Chevrolet and Chrysler to wonder about future styling and performace changes they may have to make to their competing models.

Ford's design guru J. Mays likes to play it coy but realizes the awesome responsinlity he has to preserve the iconic styling of the Mustang while allowing it to evolve into a car that will continue the rich tradition of it's heritage.

Concerning colors offered by Ford on every year of Mustang production, there are websites that have that specific information. For example if you google 1993 Mustang you will find links to sites that talk about that specific models production numbers, colors, options, etc.

Before I took on the role of club historian I had read a lot about the Mustang and have a pretty substantial library for reference. I have also used the internet to research my data in order to write my monthly articles in the Stampede.

There is an awful lot of information available through your public library, through magazines and books and through the internet.

Treat this as a hobby to be enjoyed whenever you have the the time to do the research.

If you see me at a club meeting stop by to introduce yourself and we can talk cars!

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:46 pm 

I am not local right now and so the net when I can get it is a good as it gets. I am, well was doing some vin research on my paint but got busy with work and it fell for a while.

Yes it is a mental hobby right now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:30 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

At the request of our President Scott Robinson, I was asked to write an article for the next issue of the club newsletter, the Stampede, about the 2015 Mustang. In that article I posted 3 photos of artists renderings of what the new 2015 Mustang might look like. So keep watching for that issue to be published and you will gain a better insight of what we expect to happen with the 50th Anniversary Mustang! :btu:

BTW, 6-71, thank you for your service to our country! We are proud to have you as a member of our club!

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:08 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

It seems that Ford has received a lot of negative feedback to the prototype photos of the 2015 Mustang. While the proposed new Mustang is to look similar to the Evos Concept Car with styling leaning toward that of the Jaguar, a lot of people have remarked that the new Mustang looks like a 2 door Fusion! Not the response Ford was seeking.

In an effort to quell speculation about the Mustangs new styling, one of the Ford Project managers told reporters that they shouldn't put too much faith in the images being presented to the public and added that the new car would likely carry over some of the retro look on current models.

My take on this is that Ford released the futuristic looking Mustang Concept to gauge public opinion to see if current Mustang owners would buy into this new look. Apparently the Mustang world let Ford know in no uncertain terms not to mess too much with the retro styling just to create a smaller car for European distribution.

While the Ford Mustang is expected to be wildly poplular in Europe, Ford still needs to take care of it's home market first!

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian