[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please read if your car is tagged HISTORIC!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:48 am 

There is a bill that has been introduced concering Historic tagged vehicles in Maryland. The current law states that we have the ability to drive the vehicle on a occasional basis... If I understand HB 550 correctly, it will take that ability away! Please spread the word!
http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/bills/hb/hb0550f.pdf

Post subject: Re: Please read if your car is tagged HISTORIC!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:52 pm 

What I just saw in the link it said "occasional basis." It just can't be used for daily driving. That's the way it always has been.

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:17 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Check that again Dave....
If I remember my legal-ize. The text in brackets it to be removed or modified.
So, cars will need to be 25 years old, not 20 to qualify.
AND
It looks to be that they are removing the "[occasional transportation,]" clause.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:40 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:58 pm 

Oh Ok gotcha. That's such a load of crap. I feel that unless you're doing something really stupid I doubt a cop is going to stop you.

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:11 am 

ALSO, don't forget the a**holes who are getting Historic tags for a complete sh**box because they don't want to spend the money to get it properly repaired and inspected... Granted my SVO may not be pretty, but is IS a limited production vehicle. And I know my car is safe and runs great. Hell, it prolly could pass emissions better than most newer cars out there... And NOT a rotted out POS gazillion of them made S-10/etc....

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:51 am 
Past President
Past President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:32 pm 

I know what he means though. There is a late 60's Ford Pickup around my area that I see the guy driving everyday and it is tagged historic. I can tell he uses it as a work truck.

by , on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm 

1986 s10 sold: 172,955
1987 s10 sold: 224,026
1988 s10 sold: 258,717

1986 mustang sold: 224,410
1987 mustang sold: 159,145
1988 mustang sold: 211,225

In the late 80 and early 90 I remember seeing late 60s and 70s trucks and cars (especially mustangs) all over the place with classic tags on them and people complaining that they sure looked like they were being used for daily transport/work reasons. Seems like the more things change...the more things stay the same. In fact in 1992 when I bought I bought my first mustang a 67 fastback I was going to title it with classic tags and the only thing that stopped me was my parents who said "you are using it as a daily driver, you can't put classic tags on it"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:03 am 

95 Ranger Splash

Post subject: URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:02 am 

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT (UPDATE)

Invitation to Help Amend Maryland Bill to Restrict Eligibility for Historic Vehicle Registration

We’ve been offered an opportunity by Delegate Kelly Schulz to help identify amendments to H.B. 550 that will satisfy the needs of the collector car hobby in Maryland. As you’re aware, H.B. 550 as currently written would increase the age requirement for vehicles eligible for registration as “historic motor vehicles.” Under the bill, the age requirement would be raised from 20 to at least 25 years old and would prohibit these cars from being used for “occasional transportation.” The measure would also require that an historic vehicle is insured by an historic vehicle, show vehicle or antique insurance policy. Delegate Schulz indicated that she would like to have these amendments in place well prior to the scheduled Feb. 28th hearing.
If you are available to travel to Annapolis on Friday, Feb. 17 to meet with Delegate Schulz and other stakeholder groups, please contact us immediately at:

Steve McDonald
202/783-6007, ext. 31
stevem@sema.org

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:24 am 

I am assuming that the items in bold are to be added and the bracketed items taken out. If so, the butt head who is proposing this change should just look at the second page and the wording being added on line 14 (e) and that is all that is needed. There would be no need to take out the wording of occasional transportation. In addition, I notice that they are trying to limit it to trucks less than 10,000 pounds. How about those collectors who have the old fire trucks and trucks like them. What happens to them? Also, what happens to the cars right now that are tagged as Historic (20 yrs) and changing the law will not make them legible? We have historic tags on my wife's 88 LX 5.0 convertible. The law change would be in October of this year. It would not be legible for a couple of months. The law would also take away my ability to drive it to work once in a blue moon when the weather is nice.

Can not make the meeting, but anyone goes please let us know how we can help. I am going to pass this along to my other historic car owning friends. The government is getting way out of hand now.

Thanks...
Mark

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3282552
http://video.cardomain.com/71bossmd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:40 pm 

If you want to drive, your going to have to feed the MD. Monster!

http://mlis.state.md.us/2012rs/fnotes/b ... hb0550.pdf

This gives a quick run down on how much our great state can make off of us Historic drivers!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:34 pm 

You mean the change isn't about safety?

What ever happened to grandfathering when new laws are passed?
You know things like...if you car is currently title historic and we change the law, you can maintain that registration...instead it is....if your car is 21 yrs old and already registered historic, we are changing the law and if you want to use it, you have to register as a regular car again and pay more.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:57 pm 

Yeah, thats basically it, but also that 65 / 67 or 68 that you like to drive to work every great now and then if its a nice day out... forget it unless you tag it regular also. If you want to be an occasional driver of your 25+ older classic, you must pay as well. Not to mention how my current classic car insurance company will react to me having to tag my car regular. Plus I will have to safety inspect it, and give it time we will be running it through emmissions as well before you know it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:46 pm 

Good thing I live near the state line.....I'll just do all my driving in PA :3gears:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:10 pm 

Here's a link to a petition to stop HB-550, also there's a list to the Maryland House Environmental Matters Committee emails,
so email them and your county and state delegate, I've gotten a lot of response from local politicians

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-mar ... law-intact

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:59 pm 

Signed and shared on my FB wall!

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:50 pm 

Read below. Looks like this will not go through. Read an update that I received from SEMA.

(UPDATE)

Maryland Historic Vehicle Registration Bills Likely to be Set Aside for Summer Study

The SEMA Action Network has learned that the Maryland House Environmental Matters Committee will likely not take further action this year on legislation (H.B. 550) that originally threatened to further limit the use of “historic motor vehicles.” A final action could be taken today (March 8, 2012) to set the bill aside for a summer study. The Senate will follow suit. Often, these studies are where bad bills go to die. However, we have committed to Del. Kirill Reznik that we will continue to participate in efforts to help enact an amended version of H.B. 550 next year that will allow these vehicles to continue to be eligible for the historic class upon their 20th year; not require collector insurance policies and retain the “occasional use” provision.

Make no mistake about it; this decision by the committee represents a significant victory for the collector car hobby in Maryland. Your voices, e-mails and committee testimony were heard!

Thank you and congratulations to all who participated in opposing this bill!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3282552
http://video.cardomain.com/71bossmd