[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: caliper covers vs painting
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:19 pm 

I would like to cover the calipers on my 2010 mustang. Painting can be messy. I looked at covers @ americanmuscle.com. Does anyone have these? I hear rumors that covers can be trouble if they don't fit properly. Anyone have some? Where did you buy them?

Post subject: Re: caliper covers vs painting
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:44 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I just took the creative and cheap way out and painted my calipers. It helped that I painted them when Bob installed new brakes on my car but it can be done with existing brake calipers too, you just have to be patient and careful not to get the paint on your rotors.

As far as the brake covers are concerned they do make a nice neat package but they seem to be a bit pricey. They still will get dirty so you will still have to be concerned with keeping them clean too.

I haven't heard any complaints about them affecting the performance of the brakes or interfering with the wheels on cars. If they did then it could cause a safety issue.

They do add a bit of spice to your car and make it stand out from other similar cars so I guess it is a personal decision whether to go with the caliper covers.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:22 am 
Past President
Past President

I personally prefer painted calipers over the covers. The covers look cheap. They`re plastic. I can spot them a mile away. It all opinion. If you dont know what your looking at they look good. Personally, I dont like coves mainly because they hold heat. The air doesnt flow as designed and can cause the rotors to warp sooner.

If you brought your car up, put it on the lift, remove the calipers, clean them and paint them for the same price if not less than what the covers would cost you. Your looking at $80 for me to do it. Plus while im in there I would fix the slide problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:40 am 

Agree with Bob...Painting is the way to go...Although I did have to repaint after a day at Summit Point and a lot of heat, cooked the brake dust right into the paint, but easy enough to repaint. Definitely remove the calipers and brackets for painting that makes the job much easier and its only a few bolts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:45 pm 

Thanks for the responses. Cost isn't really the issue. I just want something safe that looks good. So Bob. If I wanted to get you to paint them for me how much time are we talking. Do you need the car overnight or it is just a couple of hours? If I have to drop it off I need to make arrangements. Not sure how long the paint has to dry and it is a long way from Westminster to Odenton. I have a lot of time off from work coming up so the timing is sort of perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:28 pm 
Past President
Past President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:53 pm 

If you mean next week, sure I can do thursday. Just tell me when to be there and how to find you. I haven't been to your place before but I have a feeling I will be going there often once I find out what you can do. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:03 pm 

Bob- forgot to ask you if I need to supply the paint? I was thinking black since the car is white with the black stripes. Didn't know if that is something you have on hand?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:50 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:52 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I forgot to mention that the Brake Caliper Paint is also available in several colors. Again most Auto Supply Stores stock these items.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:50 pm 
Past President
Past President

I can pick some up for you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:24 pm 

Great. I appreciate your help. See you thursday then. Is about 10:00 ok?I got the address from the newsletter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:31 pm 
Past President
Past President

10 sounds good :btu:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:01 pm 

I had my caliper covers custom engraved from MGP a year ago, they're definitely not plastic, don't look cheap and withstand the elements extremely well. I enjoy the compliments I get about them.

"U.S. Manufactured of Aerospace Grade 6061-T6 Aluminum and Stainless Steel. CNC Engraved, TIG Welded, Powder Coated. Patented Fastening System. Heat Sync Design Cools Brakes and Reduces Brake Dust. Licensed by Ford, GM, Shelby & Prowler. Distributors Supported. www.calipercovers.com"

-Ford Racing Cold Air Intake, SCT tuned to 93 Octane
-Bassani X-Pipe & Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
-Falken ZIEX ZE912 18" Tires

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:16 pm 

They are flat and do not look anything like the real thing. These look way better but that is just my opinion. I don't mean to slam anyone else's opinion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170486434851?ss ... 1423.l2649