Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shelby GT or build a S197 GT?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:16 am 

What would you guys do?

Buy a Shelby GT or buy an 05-06 Mustang GT and build it to the same spec? It would arguably be "cheaper" to do it the second way but it clearly wouldnt hold its value and/or appreciate over time. On the other hand, im looking for a daily driver and occasional track/autoX car... Daily driver currently is my 06 Expedition and its boring... (thats the excuse anyway)

I always had a picture in my mind of a Silver 05/06 GT with the Ford Handling and Track Packs, GT-H Hood, Frotn Bumper and wheels and a black stripe package... That would be a neat "tribute" idea... and in theory, could be had for considerably less $$$.

What are your thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Shelby GT or build a S197 GT?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:38 pm 

I will pitch my thoughts at you... building a tribute car is a great way to get the look of the car you desire while arguably getting better performance. Instead of doing the ford racing products, other manufacturers offer superior components that offer a higher level of performance. Griggs racing, maximum motorsports, steeda... all have systems for improvement to the s197 chassis. Remember to do the modifications as a compliment to each other. Lower the suspension for lower center of gravity, be sure to include adjustable panhard bar and upper strut mounts. Relocating the attachment points for the rear lower control arms will give you more bite out of the corners. Replacing the hyrda mount front control arm bushings with polyurethane will improve turn in control and road feel. The sky is the limit... if you'd like I will make a grocery list for you, just open up the checkbook. :thumbsup2:

Post subject: Re: Shelby GT or build a S197 GT?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:43 pm 

Someone else that shares my insanity!

Im currently building my vision of what the 93 cobra R should have been...eventually it will look like a 93R but its currently undergoing the full Maximum Motorsports suspension install.

This S197 idea is just a fun daily driver and i am by no means looking to build a dedicated track monster... just something fun to cruise around in that my wife wont mind driving from time to time.

Since i've posted this thread.. i think im going back to an old friend... im currently looking for a 4 door E36 M3 but in Automatic... Wife friendly yet still fun/reliable for daily transport.