[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Headlight Restoration with Meguiars Restoration Kit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:03 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Today I did a complete headlight restoration on my four year old projector headlights. They had developed a cloudy film that no longer could be cleaned up with hand applied products so I used my Griot's Garage 3" Orbital Polisher with Meguiars Headlight restoration kit to restore my headlights to perfectly clear condition again.

It was a multi-step process which included wet sanding the lights with a 1000 grit sanding disk followed by wet sanding with a 3000 grit sanding disk. After that process I used Meguiars Plastic X on an orange polishing pad with my orbital polisher to cut through the cloudy film and polish the headlights. The final process was to use my orbital polisher again with a red waxing pad to add the plastic sealant to my headlights.

The results are spectacular! I have completely documented this process on the Detailing Section of this forum but I'll include a few pictures to show the before and after results. While this took less than an hour, the heat and my limited back strength since my back surgery in July completely took it's toll on me. :rolleyes:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

Attachments:
DSC_4954 (640x428).jpg
DSC_4954 (640x428).jpg [ 197.73 KiB | Viewed 3329 times ]
DSC_4955 (640x428).jpg
DSC_4955 (640x428).jpg [ 220.48 KiB | Viewed 3329 times ]
DSC_4956 (640x428).jpg
DSC_4956 (640x428).jpg [ 256.76 KiB | Viewed 3329 times ]

Post subject: Re: Headlight Restoration with Meguiars Restoration Kit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:06 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Now the AFTER PICTURES!

Attachments:
DSC_4965 (640x428).jpg
DSC_4965 (640x428).jpg [ 241.97 KiB | Viewed 3328 times ]
DSC_4968 (640x428).jpg
DSC_4968 (640x428).jpg [ 229.99 KiB | Viewed 3328 times ]
DSC_4972 (640x428).jpg
DSC_4972 (640x428).jpg [ 241.14 KiB | Viewed 3328 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:51 pm 

Very Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:42 pm 

Awesome look :btu:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:17 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

My wife and I took my car out for a little ride to today and stopped by the Cow, an Italian Ice & Ice Cream store in Reisterstown.

We parked the car down by the end of the parking lot so that we could sit under the roof in the shade while we ate our Gelatis.

At that spot I was able to really see the huge difference in the cleaned up version of my headlights. A week ago under these same circumstances the headlights were really dull and cloudy. My car hasn't been driven much since my back surgery, only about 32 miles since July 1st so I was ready to tackle this project since I'm still not permitted to drive yet.

Thanks for your kinds words on my headlight restoration. That's another detailing service I can offer MCOM Members once I'm able to continue my normal activities again! :banana:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:18 am 
Past President
Past President

I just did the same thing on my 98 Acura. They were really hazy. Now they look like close to new!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:18 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I did a partial headlight restoration on my brother Alan's 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse show car. We were able to remove a lot of the scratches and hazing from the headlights but he also has a problem with water and humidity fogging his lights from the inside.

While he was here he pointed out a small section of his fender where he had a lot of scratches and the paint looked very thin. He had a custom paint job done to his car a couple of years ago so this really bothered him. I was able to polish out the scratches with Griot's Garage Machine Polish 3, a very fine polish that takes out swirl marks and light scratches.

I then applied Griot's Garage Paint Glaze to build up the painted surface a bit and then finally applied a coat of Griot's Garage Paint Sealant to finish the job. The results were amazing! You cannot tell where the scratches were or that the paint had thinned out on that portion of the fender.

Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the before and after but both he and I know the difference.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian