Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with Tachometer Averted!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:41 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

When I had the White Faced Gauge package installed on my car the protective plastic cover cracked while removing it from the dash panel.

No problem I thought as it made the gauges look even better. On a recent visit to the car wash the detail man who was wiping down the dash and cleaning the windows apparently wiped down the tachometer. He must have pushed in the bezel holding the needle as the tach was sticking and not responding to the engines rpm's.

When I started the car the tach barely moved so I just touched the white background and it started working again. The problem was that it was sticking and would not move unless I kept touching the white background.

This continued for about two weeks and when I started having a problem with the car not running right after the Service Engine Soon light came on, I took it to Hometown Auto Repair to have it checked out. They diagnosed the problem as the coil pack had to be replaced. I asked if this had anything to do with the tach sticking and they said that it possibly could if the tach was not getting proper electrical readings due to the faulty coil pack.

The car runs fine now but the tach was still sticking. I tried one last possible easy fix. I took a small screwdriver and gently placed it under the bezel of the tach and was able to free the needle. It started working perfectly again! :banana2:

I was convinced that I would have to take the entire gauge package out but fortunately that won't be necessary! :btu:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian