[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MD State Inspection/Emissions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:09 pm 

Hi folks. My family and I are relocating from CT to MD. In fact, I'm already working down here, driving back and forth every weekend until we close on a house, prob in Carroll County. As my user name suggests, my toy is a '90 5.0, which I've had since 1999. The car runs well, and it is good physical shape. I'm a little unnerved by some of the requirements for registering a car down here, and I'm hoping someone could give me some real-life insight. Here are some of the mods I have that I think will be relevant:
Equal-length shorty headers
Off-road h-pipe (I have the factory pipes, as well, so I could swap them in if needed to get through a test)
Flowmasters
Eibach Sportlines with Tokico HPs and BBK c/c plates
2.5" cowl hood
Cold-air intake and 70mm TB
Engine itself has never been opened (yet :))

Can someone clarify - when I go to register this car in MD in a month or 2, am I going to have to go through inspection and/or emissions? If so, would your experience tell you this car would pass, assuming I get the cats back on? For what its worth, I've gone through the CT sniffers every other year, and always passed. The car is 24 y/o - will I have ONGOING inspections/emissions tests, or will I be exempt after the initial test(s)? Anything else worth noting? Anything unique about Carroll County?

Thanks for the intel! Look forward to checking out your shows once we're settled in...

Post subject: Re: MD State Inspection/Emissions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:15 am 

http://www.mde.state.md.us/programs/Air ... index.aspx

Since it says catalytic check I would assume you have to put them back on. I don't have the experience with an older car lately to tell you much more. Maybe someone else will chime in.

'07 Torch Red Convertible GT

'06 Torch Red Convertible V6(traded in)
1979 Indy Pace car I4T(retired to pasture in OK)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:48 pm 
President
President

Maryland safety inspection is very thorough and if the car came with cats you will need them in order to pass the safety inspection.

Since your car is pre-1995 the emission testing would be done the old way with the sniffer vs obdII plug in testing. Also a visual inspection of the exhaust.

That said, if you get historic tags there is no need for either safety or emissions testing, but are more restricted (legally) how often you are supposed to drive the car.

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:07 pm 

Great White - thanks for the insight. I've put 22k on the car in 15 years, so I don't think the I'll have issues with usage limitations. :)

So at 20 y/o, MD allows you to get historic plates. If your car is registered with historic plates, there is no need for either inspections or emmissions testing, either at the time of registration, or ongoing after that. Sounds about right?

I had also read somewhere that MD has laws about installing 'mufflers that cause the vehicle to make more noise that it was designed to from the factory'. While this sounds like the type of law that is only illegal if you get caught ( :wasntme: ), would historic plates exempt you from that as well?

Thanks, all!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:32 am 
President
President

If the car only has slight modifications then go historic tags, if the car is highly modified then you will have to get street rod tags. You're probably fine with historic tags though

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:04 am 

I have historic tags and use "agreed value" coverage through Grundy. so far so good. welcome to the People's Republic of Maryland...lol. breathing will be taxed here shortly.

-Flowmaster 817574, Summit alum d/s & rear CA's, 3.73s, BBK2506, K&N 33-2015, Steeda STB, SMR 2 pt brace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:28 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:58 pm 

I got my Historic Tags so no emissions or inspections on my 90 GT!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:36 pm 

good move!

-Flowmaster 817574, Summit alum d/s & rear CA's, 3.73s, BBK2506, K&N 33-2015, Steeda STB, SMR 2 pt brace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:15 pm 

I've got a 90 GT vert with historic tags as it is not a daily driver. Maryland is going to start cracking on all those idiots who have daily drivers on historic tags.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:26 pm 

As well they (MD police departments) should.