Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage Mustang sighting in the South Pacific!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:05 am 

I recently had the pleasure of spending 3 1/2 weeks cruising the South Pacific starting at Tahiti and ending with 5 days in Sydney, Austrailia--We cruised from Tahiti to Moorea to Bora Bora to American Samoa to Bay of Islands, New Zealand to Auckland to Sydney

Of course we got off in each port and did some shore excursions and sightseeing--Super beautiful scenery everywhere--Including Tahiti

We were in the back of a 4x4 truck on our way to see the volcanic crater in the center of the island, passing through the center of town--Nothing to do but look at buildings and people watch---But what to my wondering eyes did appear but the distinctive tail lights of a 71-73 Mustang fastback should appear!!!

It was parked in a one car wide alley and we were traveling at 30-40 mph so I didn't see it for long but I know what I saw--I couldn't tell much since we blew by so fast but there was an American icon sitting there in the South Pacific

Gasoline was running around 9 dollars a gallon, so either this guy was rich or didn't drive it much--Plus they drive on the wrong side of the street there and everything is right hand drive--I'm sure he didn't have the Mustang converted and he probably had a second car that was right hand drive--So I can't imagine driving a left hand drive car on the wrong side of the road and then driving a right hand drive--Almost everything I saw was a manual trans so he'd have to shift with both right and left hands

I wish I could have met the driver--He's my new hero

Post subject: Re: Vintage Mustang sighting in the South Pacific!!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:21 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Neat.

Post subject: Re: Vintage Mustang sighting in the South Pacific!!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:28 pm 

Yep gas was $5.00 Australian a liter in Northern Australia when I lived there 20 years ago. And nothing like seeing right hand drive American muscle down under.