Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rust work?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:00 pm 

Hi Gang!
I have a 1966 C Code Coupe that is in need of some relatively minor rust work on the drip rails. The worst of it is located at the bottom of the drivers side A pillar. I'm finding that a lot of the body shops are not interested in working on the older cars. Can someone recommend a good shop for this work? I'm in the Severn area. Any input will be greatly appreciated!!!!

v/r

Steve

Post subject: Re: Rust work?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:45 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4316&hilit=westminister+body+shop+ralph

You might want to PM 6pack to see how his Body Shop search went and how feels about the work Ralph is doing for him. Sorry these shops are not closer to Severn. But as WE have discovered, if it is not an insurance job, most bodyshops dont want to touch it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:00 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

By the way, welcome to the Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:00 pm 

If you are rusted out there.....you have a lot more rust on the car. Was their previous rust repairs done and this is the last of it...or is this the first that you have seen? How wet do your feet get when it rains?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:15 pm 

Thanks for the Welcome!!!!

As far as any rust on the rest of the car, it is really solid. Floor boards have no rust (not kidding!) :banana: All the usual rust spots (fenders, frame rails, cowling, etc) are clean. The car itself is a Ca car built in San Jose, according to the tag. I've had someone give it a look and he said it still has the original sheet metal and original undercoating. You would really need to see this car. I think the only reason I have rust on the bottom of the A pillar is due to poor prep work prior to its last paint job. When they redid the seam seals on the drip rails did not use the proper 2 part epoxy and I'm guessing water got under the rails and collected at the bottom. The is a little of the same on the back side too. The passenger side is in good shape. The guy who looked at it did tell me I'm starting to get a little surface rust underneath around the back end, but that can be handled with no problems by myself. (good learning experience!) Once I get the rust settled, I'll be looking to work the drive train (302, AOD, either 3.25 or 3.55 Posi Rear) and make sure the suspension is up to snuff. Brakes are power w/front disc (stock). Might look into rear disc depending on the cash flow or lack thereof...

Thanks for the input!

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:04 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

It sounds like a nice resto mod in the making.
But being that clean to start with, you could also keep all original.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:16 pm 

I've been debating just that over and over. From what I've been able to learn, the car is as close to numbers correct as I can get. When I first started looking, I wanted a good car to bring to life. Instead I got really lucky and found this one. I'm still a little torn between restomod and keeping her original.... (C code coupe).
However, I do like the idea of :3gears: :btu:

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:48 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

Yep. I am afraid I can't help with that situation. I picked up two Fox body cars to play with. One to play at the track with and one to keep original.