[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: 68 Mustang Fastback restorations, my sons 1st car.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:06 pm 

Today Kurt strip the paint from the dash & front windshield frame, and I rebuilt the door hinges

Paint striper & Scotch Brite pads made short work of the dash and windshield frame

The hinge pin bushings were cracked and worn and easy to remove with a hammer & drift

A small vise was all we needed to install the new bushings, note we used plastic in the jaws of the vise to protect the soft brass bushings

Thanks!
Pat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:51 pm 

Nice! What kind of paint stripper did you use? :btu:

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:03 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:41 pm 

This weekend Kurt & I striped the paint from the cowl & the rockers and we use a stud welder/dent puller to replace a few missing window trim rivets and to pull some dents from misused car jacks along the bottom of the rockers.

Using paint striper again made short work of the top of the cowl and rockers. To protect the POR-15 we painted inside the cowl we slid a long piece of paper from one cowl hole to the other which was easy to do!

The stud welder is a good tool for dent pulling and with the optional trim rivet attachment it makes factory looking trim rivets. This is the 2nd car I’ve used this welder on and for the money it’s a great tool!

Before

For dent that you have no access to the back side this weld works great. With a little heat from a propane torch around the dent and a few hits with the slide hammer the dents pull out nicely.
Thanks!

Pat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:58 pm 

Thats a great looking job. I wish I knew more about metal work (dents) as I have some work on the SVO to do...

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:02 pm 

Put a few hours on the car tonight, Kurt removed the paint from the tail panel and I worked in the engine bay.

We discovered an older rust repair at the right taillight. I think we will cut it out and do a better job.
Thanks!
Pat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:19 pm 

After going back and forth on replacing just the front floor or installing a full floor, Kurt & I cut the full floor out today and will pick-up a new full floor at Carlisle next week.

The floor looked good from the top but the bottom was pitted and the back flanged needs some work!

Kurt thought it would be funny if we put his old floor in my friends 72 Challenger and leave for him to find.

With no floor it sure is easy to work on other things! Should have cut it out weeks ago!
Thanks!
Pat

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:47 am 

We spent the day in Carlisle PA looking for parts and a sand blaster cabinet for the Hot Rod shop. For a few years now Kurt & I each buy an old car emblem when we go to Carlisle and put them on a wall in the garage. This time we picked letters from who know what car to spell BULLITT & Kurt.
Thanks!
Pat

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:44 pm 

Today we received a letter from the 2nd owner of Kurt’s Mustang along with a few pictures. He wrote that he and a friend had drove the Mustang to Alaska in 1970 and he had contacted his old friend as he has some better pictures of the car out west and in Alaska. He said his friend will send the other pictures in a week or two. It sounds like my call to the 2nd owner; 4 weeks ago, help two old friends relive a cool road trip in 1970.
Pat

On the back it’s marked “Home in Richmond, VA”

And this one is marked “at the four corners of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado”

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 8:00 am 

OH HOW COOL IS THAT!!! I love the stories behind our cars! :btu:

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:48 am 

Kurt looked like Fred Flintstone with his feet on the ground. lol. we all give him 2 hats off for his work he's doing onthe Mustang. look great so far. :btu: :btu: :bows:

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 12:47 pm 

We did a little rust repair along the aft end of the floor support. Also took the time to remove the top of the aft right side torque box so we could bump out a few jack dents on the bottom.

I’m sure this rust was the result of the flange facing forward and no seam sealer install from the bottom.

This was the only rust repair need on the forward side of the rear frame rails. 1/8 plate was use for the repair.

The inside of the torque was in great shape and with top of the torque box off it was easy bumping out the jack dents. POR 15 the inside of the box & the frame rails, just need to weld the top back on.
Thanks!
Pat

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:23 pm 

Just about ready for the full floor, Kurt clean-up the inside drivers side rocker and we redid an old so-so rust repair on the left side inter wheelhouse

When Kurt bought the car we knew we would be replacing the quarters as the seller said over the winter an animal had been eating the bondo off the quarter.
Pat

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:52 pm 

I picked up the doors, fenders and few other parts from the Soda blaster yesterday. Only 1 surprise the driver’s door was hit years ago and the dreaded drill & slide hammer was used to do the repair. Has anyone used or know if the repro door skins fit well and align with the fenders & quarters?
Thanks
Pat

Funny how the driver’s fender has rust holes high in the back of the light bucket but no where else.

If the repro door skins fit and look good we would like to reuse the inter door as it is original.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:26 pm 

Pat, where'd you get that stuff soda blasted? Do they do whole cars?

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:51 pm 
MCA Regional Director
MCA Regional Director

I know a place in Perry Hall. Advance Automotive Concepts. Ask for Bill.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:03 pm 

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:10 am 

Worked on the right side door & fender, now they are ready to bolt back on the car. After we get the full floor (still on back order) installed we will mount and align the doors & fenders so we can align the new quarters. The trunk lid will also be used.
Thanks!
Pat

The right door had a small rust hole in the bottom front corner and a small dent we had to pull out.

The right fender was in great shape with no rust just a few small dings but we need to weld up the emblem holes and the antenna hole as the Bullitt car did not have either.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:59 pm 

We worked on the driver’s front fender and painted under the dash today.

The left fender had two rust spots, one on the bottom aft corner and on the top of the light housing. After removing one of the light housing bracket we cut out a 2” x 7” strip and welded in a new piece. Bottom corner is next.

I set Kurt up with a small air brush with a silver paint that looks like bare steel. The small air brush allowed Kurt easy access to the back of the dash. Looks original and should be bright when working under the dash.
Thank You!
Pat

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:01 pm 

95 Ranger Splash

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next