[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:52 pm 

To make the oval I used a 1” hole saw and cut two hole side by side then used a air saw to connect the two holes.

I scribed the hole on paper for a templet to make the patch that will get welded in using a copper plate held from the inside through the cowl vent pipe. Then I can PR 15 the back side throught the same cowl vent hole.

I use anything that would reach to prep the rusty metal before I treated it. But I was lucky as it was just surface rust.

This long pry bar worked the best with 80g sand tape.

Emery cloth worked great around the vent pipe

I use a long ¼” tube to hold a small paint brush to put two coat of PR-15 over the zinc phosphate, it worked great as I could see and get to surfaces inside the cowl
Thanks!
Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:37 pm 

We restored two of the door glass tracks and note that the driver’s side has a different glass guide. Both doors look to be original to the car. I’m not sure if that’s how it came from the factory or if it was changed, if so which one is correct for the car? The passenger side with the plastic guide is in great shape, but the driver’s side felt guide is worn and look like its 42 years old. It the as the inside top door felt but with out the chrome edge. So we cut a 2 ½ “piece from the trim we removed from the top of the door, and made two staples to hold it. Note we cut a slot in the felt as to let the staples pull low and clear the glass.
Thanks!
Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:43 am 

For a Christmas present I thought I would get Kurt a steering wheel for his car. After some research I learned that the Bullitt movie car used a Shelby wheel wrapped with black leather. Needless to say a real Shelby wheel was not an option and I soon found out that a reproduction Shelby was over $2,500.00 ouch! So found a 15” brushed S/S spoke wood wheel. The spokes look close but short 1 hole per spoke. The wood is thicker and has finger grips that the Shelby wheel does not have, but I think it will look & work well after I cover it with black leather.

This is what I started with, note the holes & seam that need to be filled so they will not show through the leather.

I used West system epoxy to fill the seam & holes. Then I put a few coats of Polyurethane to seal the wood

I bought some scrap black leather at the local fabric shop and cut it about 3/8” smaller then the thickness of the wheel, then got my wife’s singer out and with the leather inside out I stitched it together about an 1 ¼” smaller then the circumference of the wheel.

Having the leather just a little smaller helped to hold the shape of the wheel when it was stretched over the wheel.

After looking at how newer cars had there leather wheels stitched I used a pipe to test and learn how to do it right. So using some velcro straps to help hold the leather emplace, I started stitching the wheel.

A few days and a few band aid on my fingers it stitched together great and I think it looks awesome!
Thanks!
Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:50 am 

WOW amazing job on the steering wheel. That is going to look great in the car.

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Post subject: Steering wheel
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:47 am 

that looks fantastic. great job. :btu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:21 pm 

Awesome work on the steering wheel!!! :btu:

Mustang Club of Maryland
Special Service Mustang Owner's Association
Bad Pony Club---Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:52 pm 

Beautiful!

95 Ranger Splash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:48 pm 

Amazing work! Thanks for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:19 pm 
Past President
Past President

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:04 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:23 pm 

We cleaned up the wiper linkage and motor over the weekend.

After disassembling the motor I noted a few part numbers on the motor cover.

This is a small push rod that switches the motor off to park the wiper arms.

Cleaned & re-greased the gear box and re-surfaced all the brushes

Tested both speeds and the self parking

I used some model paint, number & letter stamps along with the cap from a tube of chap stick to replicate the original stamps & part numbers on the wiper motor.

Before & after! I know no one can see it, but Kurt & I know its there!
Thanks!
Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:21 am 

Below is a list of safety upgrade that Kurt and I are planning to make to his Mustang. If you have any suggestions or additions please post.
Thanks
Pat

1. Install headrest on front seats
2. 3 point retractable seat belts
3. New ididit collapsible steering column
4. 4 wheel power disc brakes
5. Fuel tank armor or fuel cell
6. Upgraded suspension
7. 17” wheels and 245/45 tires
8. Power rack & pinion
9. LED Sequential taillights
10. Center brake light
11. Fire extinguisher
12. New glass
13. Brighter headlights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:51 pm 

Great idea on the safety upgrades. Thanks for sharing!

Post subject: '68 Project
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:58 am 

Man! The car looked in very good shape! I've always liked the Fastbacks. I have that particular model in diecast 1/24 scale. Your son is doing a wonderful job. Makes me wonder if I can get my daughter to help me with my Stang when I do things to it. LOL Maybe I'll wave my keys in front of her face and tell her that she can drive it on occasions when she gets her license.
:3gears: :yikes:

Good Job, you two!! :btu:

DiabloSport Preditor
1977 "Fastback" (Hatchback) V6 / 4 speed, Headers
9" wide 215-50 / 10" wide 235-50
King Cobra add-ons

Post subject: The '68 project
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:27 am 

I just thought of this website, when you were talking about looking into places for parts; http://www.mrmustangparts.com/ I don't know if you've used this site or not, but they carry older Stang parts. Good Luck!

:confused2:

DiabloSport Preditor
1977 "Fastback" (Hatchback) V6 / 4 speed, Headers
9" wide 215-50 / 10" wide 235-50
King Cobra add-ons

Post subject: Re: The '68 project
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:14 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:21 pm 

1985 Mustang Gt Red convertible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:27 pm 

Here is a little product report on some 1/4 vent fresh air sliders. The original chrome vent sliders needed to be re-chrome but that could cost a few $$ so we ordered a set of the Scott Drake repro vent sliders from CJ Pony Parts for $39.91 during there 30% sale.
Out of the box I was impressed with the quality of the chrome and as you can see buy the picture below they are identical to the original and fit perfect. So far this the best quality repro part we have bought for the Mustang, I only hope its not the last???
Thanks!
Pat

Post subject: Re: 68 Mustang Fastback restorations, my sons 1st car.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:17 am 

Kurt & I finished spot welding the aprons & radiator support and did some small repairs to the shock towers. Just a few welds left on the strut support and we are moving the floors. Nice to see some of the new metal permanently on the car!
Thanks!
Pat

We used Eastwoods Zinc Phosphate frame spray to protect the inside of the frame rails, Stuff works great!

Post subject: Re: 68 Mustang Fastback restorations, my sons 1st car.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:05 am 

Before we welded the apron in we duplicated the stamped in date code/part number.
Thanks!
Pat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 378 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next