Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Sonic Blue Dream
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:51 pm 
Originally posted this in welcome mat as a reply to my intro but it really should have been here.

Hey all made it down to MIR this past weekend. I was really kind of nervous as I had never run a quarter before. My concerns, I didn't want to do anything stupid or make a jack$## out of myself. Before getting to the track I was almost on "E" which was great as far as I was concerned. I stopped at the WAWA and threw in about 30 worth of 93. I went with my buddy Kevin who has forgot more about cars than I know. I let Kevin run the qualifier and Kevin ran a 13.59 with a R/T of .486. Kevin told me that it was pretty good but now it was my turn.
So I drove over to prestaging and put Kevin's helmet on and had a little bit of jitters. When it was my turn I broke the beams which was a little hard to judge as it was my first time. Both cars finished staging, the lights went and I was off on green. Finished my run and had no idea of my time. I drove around and grabbed my slip being my first time the first thing I looked at was overall time which was I think 13.764. The thing I had not noticed till kevin pointed it out to me was that my R/T was .002. AWESOME.

However what was weird was the overall time being slower and while I am definitely HOOKED now I have a question. Before my race we used my predator and applied a 91 tune thinking that was the higher performing tune.

It isn't, the 91 tune is called MAF C&L 91, there is another tune called MAF C&L that is a 93 tune. I don't know why they call it MAF C&L instead of calling it MAF C&L 93.

Now with kevin's time's and my R/T that would have been like a 13.1 maybe.

This however leads to another question. I reset the tune as I don't want to run 93 all the time, in doing so what I did not know is the tuner automatically set the tune back as if the stock gears were in there hence today when I was going 60 according to the speedometer I was actually only doing like 43 (my tablet has a speedometer).

So after calling and talking with diablosport I figured out I had to go back in apply the tune I wanted but do a modify before applying it, setting the axle ratio appropriately for my larger gears.

Now I am wondering cause there are four our five other settings in there.

SPARKS
WOT Fuel
Idle RPM
Rev Limit Drive
Shift Points

is there anything else I can safely tune that might squeeze just a tad bit more out of her.

I'm not talking alot I would love to break 13 though even if its 12.95. I understand the axle ration setting now but the rest of the settings I really don't.

Kind of like Tom's cruise's ignorant character in Days of Thunder....lol....know how to change plugs...oil...most basic stuff...but these settings are greek to me. Again just looking to squeeze a little more out of her safely.

Here is what I know is on her as far as aftermarket upgrades.

Steeda Lower Trailing Arm Street/Race Billet
C&L MAF
4.1. or 4.4 gears

Also I am going to upload a couple pics this time if I can figure out attachments on here.

Post subject: Re: My Sonic Blue Dream
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:54 pm 
Almost forgot Bassini exhaust from the cat's back

Post subject: Re: My Sonic Blue Dream
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:20 pm 

To get down into the 12's, you'll need to gain .6secs based on your buddies best run of 12.59. That kinda gain doesn't seem like much, but will require some significant mods to get there. Slicks are always a good quick way to get faster times, but can put a lot of stress on your drivetrain. A nitrous shot would get you into the 12's.