Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paint car for non-professionals
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:39 pm 

for a non-professional, what is everyone liking to care for their paint?

Lately I have migrated to sealers instead of waxes.

I just tried Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax on my dually, sure made the job easy. truck shine is good, have to see how long it lasts I guess. I used Megiuar's Fast Finish on our 2 other cars and was happy with the results. Again, can't comment on longevity.

I used P&S BeadMaker on my bike... really liking this stuff... works more like a detail spray but supposed to offer a couple months protection on cars, I figure it'll be more on the bike. the slickness and shine is about the best I have ever seen. I plan to use this on top of whatever I put on my mustang when I get it back.

what is everyone else liking these days?

Post subject: Re: Paint car for non-professionals
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:12 am 
President
President

Meguiars makes a great product, and is probably one of the best "commercially produced" products on the market. I have had great success with their products, from exterior waxs, detail spray, compound, and clay bars, interior leather and dash board products, to tires and engine detail, as well as their black plastic treatments. I have been very satisfied and find the price point is unbeatable.

Many people stand by Chemical Guys products, as well as Adam's Polishes.

I believe in once I find a product that works well for my needs, I stick with it. I also look at ease of use for a novice detailer.

You may want to ask to join our club Facebook Group page as it gets much more attention then the forum here on the website. The link to the FB group page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/MustangClubMD/

Also please feel free to share pictures of the results of the products that you used.

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

Post subject: Re: Paint car for non-professionals
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:53 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

The world of car care products is changing exponentially. Used to be a time when you had a choice of using a caranuba wax or a synthetic wax for your paint protection. Then the various manufacturers combined waxes and polishes to make "cleaner wax".

Fast forward to products like F11, Produxa, Shine Armor and others which use a nano technology to protect the paint and repel water and make the paint so slippery that most dirt, bugs or even dust or pollen doesn't stick to the paint. You just hose off and wipe down to get your vehicle looking good again with little effort. How long these products last and protect is a matter of conjecture. Most of the companies making these products assure people that multiple applications, say weekly, will guarantee longer protection for the paint. The same can be said for using carnauba or synthetic waxes as well.

Then we have ceramic coatings that can last anywhere from a year or several years but come at a high cost as most of these products have to be professionally applied. There are some do it yourself ceramic products available but unless you have a dust free location to apply these products and really know how to use them your results may not be what you expected.

As James mentioned, companies like Meguiars, Mothers, Griot's Garage, Chemical Guys, Croftgate and dozens of the popular brands you see in the auto supply stores work very well for all levels of detailing.

Just as important as the product is the correct way to apply and use the products. I have found that claybarring the paint at least twice a year keeps the paint looking its best. You don't want to be in a position where you are waxing or polishing in the dirt!

Steve Tapper