[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restoring the Appearance of Vinyl Striping
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:52 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

After our April meeting at the Car Corral one of members, Jim, asked me to to take a look at his discolored, faded vinyl gray stripes on his 2007 Shelby.

These vinyl stripes have a problem with discoloring, fading, and looking like they have dried in water spots. This can be even more evident with lighter colored stripes.

Jim had tried cleaning the stripes with various cleaners and even used a clay bar but could not get that dirty water spot look out of the stripes. He and I had exchanged emails several months ago looking for other options to help make these stripes more appealing.

Today after our meeting Jim followed me home and we took on the challenge of restoring the gray stripes back to their original color. We were also in uncharted territory as I had researched a number of detailing websites and no one had a cure for this problem.

I started off using a aerosol paint solvent used in body shops to remove wax, silicone, grease, road tar, etc. to thoroughly clean the vinyl stripes. Then I used my Griot's Garage 3" Orbital Polisher with a multi-step approach to thoroughly clean and revitalize the vinyl stripes. First we used a yellow foam cleaning pad with machine polish to deep clean the vinyl. We followed up with a less aggressive machine polish with an orange foam polishing pad. This seemed to really deep clean the vinyl but the stripes still looked dull. The final step was to apply Griot's Paint Sealant with a red waxing pad. This last step really did the trick! The paint sealant has excellent fill capacity and it was able to nourish and restore the deep gray color back to the stripes.

After we finished with the hood, which took most of the abuse and wear over the years, we used the same procedure on the stripes on the roof and the trunk of the car.

Not knowing whether any of this was going to work out I forgot to take some before pictures of the heavily spotted front stripes. By the time we were ready to do the rear stripes I decided to take a few before and a number of after pictures. As a reference Jim drove his car in the Christmas Parade at White Marsh and the photos show how much lighter the stripes were at that time.

The stripes have definitely darkened and much of the dried water spotting is gone and the stripes now make for a better contrast to the white paint on the car.

Both Jim and I were delighted with the results and if I can download these pictures from my new computer I'd like to share them with you.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

Attachments:
DSC_0567 (640x426).jpg
DSC_0567 (640x426).jpg [ 179.23 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]
DSC_0566 (640x638).jpg
DSC_0566 (640x638).jpg [ 264.97 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]
DSC_0565 (640x426).jpg
DSC_0565 (640x426).jpg [ 170.44 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]

Last edited by Red Baron on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Restoring the Appearance of Vinyl Striping
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:06 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

More pictures!

Attachments:
DSC_0568 (640x426) (2) (640x426).jpg
DSC_0568 (640x426) (2) (640x426).jpg [ 174.16 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]
DSC_0569 (640x426).jpg
DSC_0569 (640x426).jpg [ 169 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]
DSC_0570 (640x426) (2).jpg
DSC_0570 (640x426) (2).jpg [ 184.23 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:08 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

More pictures!

Attachments:
DSC_0573 (640x426) (2).jpg
DSC_0573 (640x426) (2).jpg [ 146.66 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]
DSC_0572 (640x426) (640x426).jpg
DSC_0572 (640x426) (640x426).jpg [ 154.4 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]
DSC_0571 (640x426) (2).jpg
DSC_0571 (640x426) (2).jpg [ 189.45 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:10 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

More pictures!

As you can see the results are pretty dramatic!

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

Attachments:
DSC_0576 (640x426).jpg
DSC_0576 (640x426).jpg [ 233.9 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]
DSC_0575 (549x640).jpg
DSC_0575 (549x640).jpg [ 242.52 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]
DSC_0574 (640x426).jpg
DSC_0574 (640x426).jpg [ 178.91 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:44 am 

Steve
Thanks for all your hard work yesterday! :btu:
Great Job!
JIm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:19 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Thanks Jim!

I like a good challenge and now we know how to clean and revitalize those pesky vinyl racing stripes.

Now you can enjoy driving your car to shows and events knowing that it looks brand new!

Steve
Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:21 pm 
Newsletter Editor
Newsletter Editor

General note for preventative care of vinyl stripes. Rip on Turtle Wax all you wan't, but I use their Ice polish on the exterior vinyl/plastic surfaces of the BlackJack(after the Black Box kit on the paint). It doesn't leave the normal residue you would find from getting wax on these surfaces, but it does shine them up nicely without creating a "greasy" look and provides a layer of protection against elemental damage. I've had my car for almost 3 years now, and even with largely being parked outdoors, my vinyl is still relatively new looking. I don't know if it will remove existing damage, but after all the work you guys put into cleaning the stripes I think it will go a long way in preventing any new damage.
Adam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:36 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer