[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It has begun ... Motor rebuild
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:03 am 
Site admin
Site admin

Thanks to John White and his son for the motor ... and the delivery to my house!

Couldn't touch it the weekend I got it (was busy) and this up coming weekend is booked too so I broke down and starting tearing it down after work.

First night and I've got most of it apart. Still have the pistons and lower end to take out of the block, I'll leave that for another night.

:devious: Time to start working out my rebuild parts list! :devious:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:03 am 

Looks like fun! What are the plans?

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:11 am 
Site admin
Site admin

I am going to tear down this block, have it magnafluxed(?) then bored .30 over. From there it gets a little fuzzy. I have narrowed down my stroke to the 331 variety, but haven't chosen a actual kit yet, but this is the next step that I need to do. After that I need to work out a intake/cam/head/carb combo that will work nicely together and achieve the HP goals that I am looking for. I'm looking into a power package by Edelbrock right now that is a complete setup other than the lower end and the block.
I am projecting this project to take about a year to complete for financial reasons, but also want to sneak an engine compartment refresh while the engines are being swapped out.
I've read articles on 302 blocks w/ the 331 kit that can produce 400 hp... I'd like to get at least 350 hp ... anything after that is a bonus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:06 pm 
Site admin
Site admin

Well that was a fast project.

I got a call from the shop today .. engine failed pressure test on one side of the block near the ... crap, I forget. I think he said oil pump. I was kinda distracted when he said it failed that I didn't really listen to the rest of what he was saying. So its no good. I am going to go take a look at it on Monday so I can see it in person.

On the flip side, he has an 'older' block that he can put together a long block for me instead. It is already .030 bored and 'was showing signs of wear' so he'll have to take it to .040. Also, he wants to put in a 347 stroker kit, something about it being easier/cheaper to find kits for it.

I was feeling good about using these guys for my work, but todays phone call really put me back into the beware mode. It was nice of him to suggest a block that he had (obviously wants to get rid of) but his instance on putting a 347 kit into it even after he and I talked about me wanting a 331 motor just didn't sit right with me. He is going to work up prices for his block with both the 331 and 347 kits installed, and I'll make up my decision from there if I want either ... or none at all.

Ok, so first off is .040 on an older block with thicker walls 'safe'? Is there really that much reliability differences between the two stroker kits? ... Should I just break down and start looking for another block to start anew? :help:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:35 pm 
i work at a machine shop and .40 over on a small block 302 is not recommended especially when you plan on strokeing the motor to 347, find a nother block and stick with the 331 stroke. sounds like you are going to stick money into and you want it to last dont let them talk you into something you dont want because it all sounds good. plus if something does happen there is no more room in a 40 over block for another build.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:48 pm 
Site admin
Site admin

Yup, that is what I figured. I'm going to tell the guy on Monday that I am not interested in his leftovers. Have to remember to bring the camera so I can get some pictures of the problem spot.

So, onto the next attempt... I've got a lead on a 'roller block' for cheap. I can't seem to find too much information on these online (maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places). Is there any more benefit to these blocks over the non-rollers? :confused2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site admin
Site admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:49 pm 

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:17 pm 
Site admin
Site admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:43 am 

by , on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:02 am 
Site admin
Site admin

Here's the damaged bolt hole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:27 pm 
Site admin
Site admin