Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No brakes
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:47 pm 

I recently swapped out my brakes and installed a new set of Kelsey Haynes front calipers and Large Shelby rear drum brakes; my original MC was from a Granada front disk brake conversion and worked fine. I attempted to use the original MC, but I couldn't get any brake pedal; it would pump up and bleed out, but would go back to a no pedal condition. I had purchased a brand new Bendix 1" piston MC that was original OEM for these brakes and installed; same issue. Both MC's were bench bleed. I utilized a Motive pressure bleeder at the MC and also attempted to use a Griot's siphon action bleeder, but still no brakes. There appears to be no bubbles in any of the lines and the rear brakes are adjusted all the way out to maximum width. Am I just not bleeding them enough? Any advise would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: No brakes
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:39 am 
Past President
Past President

Sounds like you still have air somewhere in the system. When you said it had a pedal then lost it, I'm wondering if there is still some air in the master cylinder. I'm thinking you pushed it down just far enough to draw some air. You may want to try to bench bleed it again just to be sure. Then when you bleeding the system don't push the pedal all the way to the floor. I've had some that when they went to the floor it would draw air. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:19 am 

maybe pointless but have you gravity bled the complete system?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:35 am 

Guys,

Thanks for both the tips; I am going to give them a shot over the weekend. I suspect there has to be some air in the master cylinder also; it seems like that is the only way the pedal wouldn't at least stay sponge. Will let you know.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:56 am 

Well, I finally got a hold of Scotty at Cobra Automotive and he forwarded me the instructions in pdf; Calipers were marked L and R and I thought that was left and right....Anyway, the issue with these calipers are that they are now relocated forward instead of toward the rear; therefore the calipers are reversed to allow for the bleeder to be up instead of down, trapping air in the caliper. Long story short; I swapped the calipers and rebleed them out and now have rock hard brakes. Thanks for the support and advise :btu: