[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help from the MCOM braintrust
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:31 pm 
Site admin
Site admin

Someone hopefully has a helpful hint or something to get me out of this bind. I don't know if its a cause and effect thing but, after the parade in which Evelyn borderline overheated she has now a problem. At idle everything sounds normal, but when driving around and are attempting to maintain a speed she sounds like her timing is messed up. Every second or so it 'PUTS' ... hummmmmmmm.. PUTT... hummmmmmmmm... PUT..... Its bad enough to feel the loss of acceleration.

I swapped out the plugs w/ new ones and wires are next. None of the plugs were fouled up hardly at all and I'm sure that changing the wires won't help either, but I'm doing it just because.

I don't have a timing light to check the timing... and even if I did its been such a long time that I don't remember how to do it offhand.

I've looked for a fuel filter... and suprisingly enough I can't find one. Going to look at the paperwork on my Edlebrock Carb to see if its inside the carb somewhere. Otherwise I don't think there is one on her.

With an engine as simple as this is there are limited things that can be wrong. There is a little bit of complication with the Mallory distributer, I think there are some electronics in that.

Am I over thinking this? Something easy I should check?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:20 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:37 am 
Site admin
Site admin

I got 8 of these and gapped them at .035, which is what I kept finding everywhere on the 68 302cid Ford motor. JIC, I kept the old plugs and labeled them so that I can take a look at what is going on in each cylinder for further diagnosis.

'Evelyn' has a Mallory Unilite 4755101 distributor w/ vaccum advance.

Not too sure if I HAVE to get a Mallory replacement cap and rotor... but I can get them if needed. This will probably be my next step along with the fuel filter replacement/install.

I lit up the garage last night and followed the gas line from carb to fuel pump and then from pump to partway under the car and still couldn't find a filter anywhere!! :yikes: Tonight I'll put her up on jacks and follow the line the rest of the way back to the tank. If I were to put a filter on, it should go before the fuel pump... or between the pump and the carb... or install two and have one in both places?

Bad fuel + no filter seems like a plausible combo for what problems I'm having now. Don't remember off hand how much gas was left in the tank, but after all the running around I did on the 4th of July weekend there can't be more than 1/4 of a tank left. So it shouldn't take much to finish off the tank and fill'er back up with new gas.

I remember on my 86 4 banger I was having problems with the engine loosing all its power on right hand turns. Would drive fine straight and turning left, but right turns it would just about stall out. Turns out the fuel filter needed to be replaced. This isn't nearly as extreme, but it does have a similar feel to it.

Oh yea, I also cleaned out the K&N air filter, it was filthy!

Sounds like I am making another trip to Advanced tonight for some more parts! Cap and rotor, at least one fuel filter, replacement rubber fuel lines with a couple new clamps. Going to return the plug wires I got, the one wire that goes from the dist cap to the coil doesn't fit correctly and keeps popping off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:30 pm 
Site admin
Site admin

Update:

Fed Ex and UPS droped off their respective deliveries today: Fuel Filter, Mallory Cap, Mallory Rotor, Chiltons 64-69 Ford Mustang Repair Manual (I was $15 from getting free shipping and the manual put me over enough other wise I would not have gotten it probably)

Rotor and Cap swap was a sinch. Fuel filter was made to fit the stock/standard Ford carb, not my Edlebrock... so I rigged it up inline between the fuel pump and the carb. Works like it should, but its not screwed directly to the carb. :confused2: Oh well.

Turned her over and let her get to 190 before I started playing with the timing. Not having a light/gun to do it right I had to go by ear. But I swear that anything other than where it was, was an improvement. A quick drive around the block and its like shes a new car. MUCH more responsive from the get'. The puttering seems to either have dissapeared or isn't apparent enough for me to notice. The true test will be a nice stedy cruise down RT100 at cruising speeds. I think I may rent a timing gun just to get things the way they should be.

I did notice dirt or something in the fuel lines leading to the carb when I had it all appart. Wouldn't suprise me if it was a mix of crap in the fuel that was causing the problem the whole time. From what I saw I may wana change the filter out sometime in the next few tanks... it was really grungey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:50 pm 

Sounds great! Glad to hear that Evelyn is purring again!

If you are in need of a timing light and will be in my area, you are certainly welcome to use mine.

:clinkmugs:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:16 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:19 pm 
Site admin
Site admin