[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing Drum Brakes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:53 pm 

This is my first time messing with drum brakes. The shoes on the front of the '68 are shot. I have new shoes and got the old ones off.

What is the order in which I re-attach the springs? And how do you get the shoe hold down springs back on? I did buy the "drum brake tool" and used it to remove the automatic adjuster spring but that was about it.

Everything thing I see on the web is not specific enough and neither is the manual I have. They just say remove and replace oh and use this special tool and here is a far away graining photo to look at... :banghead:

I'm sure there is an easy way to do it I just can't find it.

Thanks in advance for the help. :btu:

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:59 pm 

Ok well after a lot of cussing I finally got the passenger side back together correctly...or at least it looks like the driver side now. I'm not sure if I did it the most efficient way but I did it and I figured out what another part on the "drum brake tool" does. :btu: So please still share with me any wisdom because I still have the driver side to do... :blurryface: ...tomorrow. I'm going to bed now.

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:27 pm 
Site admin
Site admin

If I can remember I will bring my 2 manuals into work and scan them so that you can see.

I have one of those wonderful drum brake tools around here somewhere. It was like DIRT cheep too, just go get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:10 am 

Thanks Dan, that should help. :btu: I do have the drum brake tool and it did help. Like I said I did get it back together but I want to make sure that I did it in the correct order.

by , on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:31 am 

Dave, if there was a way that I could efficiently describe the shoe replacement scenario in text, I would write it. But basically, if the shoes are back in their original spots with the same clips and springs intact, then you should be good to go. Obviously, you found the 1/4 turn spring compressor on your tool. As long as it is replaced by again turning it 90 degrees to lock in - great.

Otherwise, during install, be sure to collapse the star adjuster (bottom) all the way in by turning it. You'll also want to use brake clean spray to clear the surface areas to prevent the shoes from catching on things as they move.

As you put the drum back on, I'm sure you'll pack the front bearings, check races, etc. Then you should be ready to adjust the 'star adjuster' through the hole.

Just my 2 cents.... :blahblah:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:54 am 

Thanks Rick. That's what I figured. I talked with some guys here at work and it sounds like I did what I was supposed to do. I only took apart one side so I could reference the other side. I did just as you said with the adjuster and I cleaned and lubed up where I could see that the shoes rubbed the backing plates. The drums are getting turned now and the bearings and races look fine. I'll just repack and reuse them.

by , on Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:01 am 

by , on Flickr

Post subject: Dump truck
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:12 pm