Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tail light wiring harness / Tail light replacement
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:57 pm 
Site admin
Site admin

Well my ongoing quest to replace all of the wiring in Evelyn is now almost complete. I ordered my tail light wiring harness and a tail light replacement kit.. I figured that I may as well replace as much as my monthly allowance allowed me to replace all at the same time. My tail light buckets needed to be replaced, the insides of them were all rusted. Also. each one had one if not two of the rear bolts broken off making for a poor seal into the trunk.

• To get this swapped out you will need to take off the drivers side kick panel, drivers side sill plate, drivers side rear interior quarter panel, and the rear seat.
  • The sill plate comes right off with the screws holding it down.
  • My rear seat isn't attached anywhere, I just lift off the seat back followed by the seat bottom.
  • The rear interior quarter panel comes off by removing the window crank, the door molding and the screws holding it in place.
  • Take a pair of pliers and work the tabs holding the old harness up under the lip in the trunk to free it up.
  • Disconnect all the connections in the trunk area (2x backup lights, 4x tail lamps, 1x license plate light).
  • Disconnect the gas gauge feed from the underside of the gas tank. Its just one connection and pulls straight off from the gas sending unit.
  • In the trunk, feed the passenger side of the wiring harness through the gas neck to the drivers side.
  • Pull the gas gauge line through the grommet and get it all into the trunk.
  • In the drivers compartment, disconnect the two connectors to free up the harness. The two connections are the gas gauge feed and the rear lights (brake, backup, driving/blinkers). If its an original harness you will probably need to clip off the ends so that you can easily feed it back though the door sills, the rear wheel well, into the trunk.
  • Evelyn had two rubber tie downs located behind the rear interior quarter panel and two more in the trunk area... along with the tabs along the rear edge of the trunk. Once I freed up those few areas the entire harness was free to be pulled out.
  • I started the new harness from the drivers side trunk area first, fed to the passenger side back through the gas filler neck area.
  • Push the metal tabs back into place so that it holds the harness in place.
  • Start feeding the new harness along its route to the drivers side of the trunk and then up towards the front of the car. The gas gauge line will come back across the trunk infront of the tank, through its grommet hole to the outside, then along the front edge of the tank to the sending unit.
  • Feed the new harness up the rear wheel well as close as you can to the outer body panel. There is plenty of room there to get it up into the drivers compartment.
  • Feed the harness through the drivers compartment by pulling the harness from the access hole behind the rear quarter panel, route the wire down the wheel well, under the rear window assembly through to the door sill, down the entire length of the door to the front of the drivers compartment, up the door behind the kick panel to the underside of the dash.
  • Reconnect the gas gauge line and the rear light connectors, tying it down to avoid any loose connections at a later date.
  • Check our rear lights:
  • Driving lights [both sides]
  • Blinkers [left and right]
  • Brakes [both sides]
  • License plate lights
  • Reverse lights [both sides]
  • Check the gas gauge to see if it shows the correct fuel level
  • Reassemble the interior: Rear interior quarter panel, rear seat, kick panel, door sill