Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Recent Quadriceps Surgery!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:53 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

For those of you who follow me on Facebook you already know that I lost my balance and fell while gassing up my car on Wednesday, November 25th, the day before Thanksgiving.

Thanks to a nice lady who saw me lying on the ground at the gas station and the clerk, they were able to get me up off of the ground and into my car where I was able to drive home. When I started to lose my balance and realized that I was going to fall I tried my best to avoid landing on my back to prevent any further damage to my chronic, degenerative back.
As I fell my right leg twisted under me and as I fell I felt something "pop" in my right thigh. At first I thought that I has broken my leg as it felt like I had been shot!

When I got home I asked my wife to call 911 as I knew that I really had hurt my leg. She called our Primary Care doctor's office and they suggested that I come right over to take an xray to see if indeed I had broken my leg. The xrays were negative for a break however my doctor gave me a referral to an Orthopedic Surgeon as he was sure that I had torn my right quadriceps muscle.

Advice! Don't do this the day before Thanksgiving! I wound up seeing the Orthopedic Surgeon the following Monday morning who immediately diagnosed the injury as a quad tear and had his scheduler get me into the first hospital they could arrange. They fitted me with a leg/knee brace to keep the leg straight and I had outpatient surgery on Friday, December 11th at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore.

The surgery lasted for over two hours and I supposedly had been given a "Nerve Block" to lessen the post op pain. I was also given an prescription for Percocet for pain as well. Let's just say that the nerve block was not effective at all!

So I was in a lot of pain until the following Monday. I had 30 staples covering a 9" incision on my right knee and thigh where they had to drill holes in my knee to re-attach the quad muscle, tendons and ligaments. My entire leg was wrapped in a tight Ace Bandage and I had to wear the leg/knee brace 24/7.

Today I had my first post op exam where they removed the staples, took more xrays and re-bandaged my right leg with a smaller Ace Bandage. Up to know I had to use medicated wipes to clean myself as I was not allowed to shower.

Thankfully I can now shower again but must be careful around the incision site. I still have to wear the brace 24/7 including when I sleep! My next exam will be on Monday, January 11th , when they can decide if I am healed enough to start rehab. I cannot drive during this time and probably even when I start rehab. My goal is to be driving by March/April 2016.

I want to thank the officers and the club for the wonderful Get Well card that they sent to me. Since I cannot drive we held our first Officers Board Meeting at my house last week.

Here is my new wardrobe accessory that I'll be wearing for the next few months! :angry:

The Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

Attachments:
DSC_3072 (800x536).jpg
DSC_3072 (800x536).jpg [ 277.93 KiB | Viewed 2595 times ]

Post subject: Re: My Recent Quadriceps Surgery!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:58 am 

I wish you a speedy recovery Steve!

Glenn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:05 pm 
President
President

glad all is healing well Steve. :btu:

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:14 am 

Steve, I have not seen you in a while. I wish you the best and hope to see you soon.

Thanks Phil!

It has been a long time since we've seen each other at an MCOM Meeting or event.

I bought this 2006 GT Premium two years ago from a local dealer after selling my 2002 Mustang privately.

Hopefully I'll be allowed to drive in time for the St. Patrick's Day Parade in mid March. If not then I guess I'll be a passenger in Diana's car and take pictures along the parade route.

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement as I battle back from this serious injury! :btu:

The Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

Attachments:
Carolyn's Croftgate Detail 2015 002 (800x536).jpg
Carolyn's Croftgate Detail 2015 002 (800x536).jpg [ 384.03 KiB | Viewed 2584 times ]