Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please help make my mom's dream come true. Car for a day?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:42 am 

I'm trying to make a dream come true for my mother. Without giving you her life story, my mother is in her 60s. Her life has become very difficult, her body is breaking down on her, and she is working 6 days a week trying to keep her house. She is the most wonderful and selfless person I know.

My mom remembers growing up in a few different Mustangs her father had. She remembers the day he brought home the 64 1/2. She remembers going to Ocean City in the back of the convertible. She remembers the day in high school her dad let her drive the Mach 1.

Every time she sees an old 'stang roll down the road, she calls me and tells me how much she would love to have one. Heck, she even sends me picture messages when she sees them in parking lots. Try to tell me that's not the best mother in the world!

Here is my plan. I would love to take her out to eat, to church, or for a short drive in a vintage Mustang. Just an hour or two. I've been a gearhead all my life, love cars, and understand the reluctance of letting someone else drive your baby. I have a clean driving record, been driving stick 15 years, and I'm a 30 year old school teacher. I can verify my credentials, I can even put a GoPro on the car to prove I'm not driving crazy, I can even keep it to a predetermined speed limit and never go WOT. Whatever you want with your car, I'll make it happen. I would contact both our insurance companies and make sure the vehicle is COMPLETELY covered. You could hold the title to my car as collateral if it makes you feel better. I don't have much money, but we could negotiate a cost if needed... and I'll definitely fill up your tank when I'm done!

I realize I'm asking a lot... but I see my mother getting older faster. I want to do something nice for her, something we can bond over, something that brings that youthful spark back to her. This would be the greatest gift I could give to her right now (except the grandbaby my wife and I are working on). If there is any way at all you would be willing to help me with this venture, please contact me. matthewtilkens@gmail.com

Hope to hear from someone. Thank you for your time.

Post subject: Re: Please help make my mom's dream come true. Car for a day
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:20 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

That's a very kind and noble thing you want to do for your mother. As someone also in my 60's I can appreciate her health care issues. It's a shame that she has to work 6 days a week at this point in her life. Unfortunately there are a lot of people today struggling in this tough economy.

I wish you luck with your quest to find someone with an early Mustang that is willing to lend out their car but you can understand their concern as well.

Good luck,

Red Baron
MCOM Treasurer-Historian