[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this a fake Shelby?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:29 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

So I was on my lunch break and figured I'd poke around the intarwebs to see whats for sale. I ran across this car on the Carmax site and while they claim this to be a Shelby, I was wondering if it really is. Check out the photos and see if you can tell. I've never seen one with the name on the back in that particular place. You can see the rest of the details here:

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 2.25.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 2.25.52 PM.png [ 300.76 KiB | Viewed 4797 times ]
Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 2.22.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 2.22.15 PM.png [ 169.22 KiB | Viewed 4797 times ]

AIM: levijwardell
Twitter:

Post subject: Re: Is this a fake Shelby?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:13 pm 

I am no authority but I'd have to guess no.....but someone with knowledge should edumincate us so we'll know a real one or a fugazi.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 pm 
President
President

I believe that the 2007 shelby letters were located on the left like that and not across the center like you are used to with other years

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:38 pm 
Past President
Past President

Yup. Its real.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:40 am 

Shucks that is a learning event. I guess I looked at the paint and it looked nothing more than a GT and the VIN would tell if it met the cobra package. I like the newer models better and lot more aggressive and look the part.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:53 pm 

It looks authetic to me too.
I note it doesn't have any Shelby CSM plates in the engine well or on the dash, but the 500's I think that was an option because they were made by Ford using the Shelby parts.
You can submit the VIN to the Team Shelby Registry to confirm its real one.
Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:56 pm 
Vice President
Vice President

Wow, who woulda thunk it. I was sure that I had spotted a fake and was all excited to go tell Carmax they got duped. There goes my Friday fun.

AIM: levijwardell
Twitter:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:34 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:45 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

You have to believe that a big outfit like CarMax would verify a Shelby via the VIN number and it's registration. They have too much at stake to ever try to fake a Shelby. They would lose all credibility not to mention being sued for misrepresentation. :eek:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:35 pm 

I'm sure the car dealership would be I bet you a saleman may not know. I'm sure if I slapped Cobra emblems on the side of my GT and told a salesman it was a Cobra he'd believe it. It's amazing what car salesman don't know and will tell someone to sell a car. I stopped to look at a used Roush and the salesman said "oh yeah its the supercharged one." So I had him pop the hood and there was no supercharger. So I just asked him where the supercharger was and he pointed at the aftermarket cold air intake box and said isn't that it? I said no and thanked him for his time and left.

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:01 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

You're probably right Dave about a salesman telling you what you want to hear when showing you a car and it is always been "buyer be ware" when purchasing a car from an individual. But a car dealership has a fiduciary responsibilty to accurately describe the vehicle they are selling.

That is why the VIN number is so important especially with specialty cars. There are many documented cases of people building clones and selling them as the real numbers matching cars. You can believe that all of the cars consigned to a Barrett-Jackson, Mecum, RM, Auctions America or any other reputable auction company are thoroughly vetted before they can sell the car.

This is why a Marti report or a Galen Govia or a PMD, Pontiac Motor Division certification is so important for older, collector cars. There is a big money difference for a real Boss 429 Mustang and a clone.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:04 pm 

Dave don't know if you saw the Black Shelby GT at Cooks in Aberdeen at Rt7 and 40 but i got in line and they had it listed as a Mustang GT and had all the Shelby markings and super charged but don't know if they knew if it was a Mustang GT of a Shelby GT. i think its been sold and it was listed for mid $20,000 for an 2007.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:27 am 

by , on Flickr
Some people are like Slinkys. They have no purpose, but they sure bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:19 am 

Shelby GT VIN numbers are actual Mustang GT VINs with a code for a certian option package. As a Mustang GT they are sent to Las Vegas where Carroll Shelby Motors (CSM) converts them. The benefit is when you get it insurered its a Mustang GT. I don't know how the Shelby GT 500's are number as they are made as 500 by Ford using Shelby parts. The Shelby Super Snakes are like the Shelby GTs in that they are GT 500's sent to Las Vegas where CSM converts them to the SS. There are some Shelby authorized Ford Dealers who do the the Super Snake Conversion, one is Tasca Ford in Rhode Island.
I suspect the Saleen and Roush mustangs also have GT VINs.
Jim:banana2:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:37 am 

I have an 07 Shelby and my letters are on the left side of trunk just like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:17 am 

I think you can send a GT to Shelby and have it titled and turned into a Shelby GT. for a small fortune. i think i'd rather have a real Shelby.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:15 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Actually all Shelby's start life as Mustang GTs. Some of them are ordered by Shelby to be refitted and sold as Shelby's and others are sent to Shelby by their owners to be upgraded to become Shelby's.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Treasurer-Historian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:09 pm 

The easiest way for me to tell is if the speedo is on the left side and the tach is on the right side of the gauge display where the tach should be. I've never seen a faker go the extreme of changing that. The rear lower fascia is not a GT500. Too bad I cannot see the hood. The 5.4L engine of a GT500 looks nothing like the GT's 4.6L. This being an 07, I am pretty sure it would have come to a Ford dealer as a GT500. I don't believe they sent GT's to be made SuperSnakes back in 07 as they do now.

We had a club member that bought a supposed Roush from a local dealer which ended up just a GT with body stuff. He found out by trying to get the dealer to replace the rims that were going bad to no avail. He finally called Roush to see what could be done and when he gave them his VIN they said it was not a Roush. He got nowhere with the dealer.