[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Back Home After My Back Surgery!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:08 am 

great news, keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 am 

Patricia & I were a little concerned about you. It's good to have you back in the saddle. :thumbsup2:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:29 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Not to make this into a soap opera but I just wanted to offer an update on my post op recovery so far. The surgery went well and I'm no longer in constant pain. I do have to slowly work myself back into shape again so I'm setting small goals to accomplish everyday.

I appreciate your concern Phil & Patricia and maybe this will be a learning experience for someone else who has been suffering from back issues. My Physical Therapist asked me, knowing what I know now, if I would have elected to have this operation 10 years ago. I told him that if this procedure was available ten years ago I would have jumped at the opportunity.
The problem was that ten years ago the only option for me was very invasive open back surgery with a long recovery time.

In this case technology made this surgery possible and has given me a new lease on life. I've always been a very active person so the past 10 or so years have been doubly hard on me as I could not participate in a lot of activities that I used to look forward to like playing softball or even golf.

I've got a set of Wilson Staff Golf Clubs with graphite shafts that haven't been used since 2002! I'm hoping to one day be able to use them again. :btu:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:14 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Update time!

I've been in Physical Therapy since August 15th and now have had 8 therapy sessions. I'm now at the point where I have joined Planet Fitness to begin my fitness rehab. I will start my training tomorrow with a very light workout concentrating on core strengthening and recumbent bike riding.

I will be working with a personal trainer to design a fitness and strength training routine that will allow me to train hard without injuring my back.

Funny story. The fellow taking me on the tour of the gym and showing me all of their equipment stopped to demonstrate a piece of equipment where you sit down and push the handles down to work your triceps. He had about two hundred pounds on the machine and he was showing me the different hand grips that you could use on the machine.

When he got up I sat down and before he could say anything I was using the same weight easily and doing the exercise without any strain at all. This guy did a double take! He didn't expect someone of my age to walk in cold after recently having back surgery and handle that kind of weight. :pepper:

He started to ask me a lot of questions about my training history and was impressed that I had competed in a number of AAU sanctioned Body Building and Power Lifting contests over the years. Since he liked me I got both a gym bag and a tee shirt when I joined the club. I told him that my heavy lifting days are over and all I want to do now is get into shape and maintain my fitness.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:02 am 

Steve,

That is great news and I am glad that you are progressing very well since your surgery. Also glad to see you out at the various events.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:16 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:41 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Last week I had an appointment with my Arthritis doctor who was very surprised with the success of my recent back surgery. He told me that I was the first patient he had seen where this surgery was a success. In most cases the patients with spinal stenosis and scoliosis this severe are not usually helped by the surgery.

He was concerned though about my loss in height of 4" due to my scoliosis and scheduled me for a DXA or Bone Density Test to check for Osteoporosis. I had the test today and while I won't have the results for a couple of weeks Mary, the radiologist, did show me the scan of my lower spine which clearly showed how much bone was removed during my back surgery. The scoliosis or twisting of the spine is the main contributor to the spinal stenosis which causes the impingement of the sciatic nerve.

I'm finished with my Physical Therapy and have started my own rehab at Planet Fitness where I begin my workout by walking on a treadmill for 10-15 minutes as a warmup before I do my weight training on the machines. My strength is returning and I have to remind myself that I am no longer in training for using heavy weights! Now I'm more interested in conditioning and endurance. :btu:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:59 pm 

Steve

Keep up the good work!!!

Having chronic back problems and back surgery I can appreciate what you have been through. My experience in rehab and what follows has taught me that slow and steady is the best course of action. Stretching, walking, NO HEAVY LIFTING, has worked for me. I wish you continued improvement.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:57 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Larry,

I do plan to take it slow and easy at Planet Fitness with an emphasis on cardio such as the treadmill, eliptical machines and the recumbant bike. I am hoping to do cardio four days a week or more if I can make the time and do the weight machines 2-3 times a week.

I need to work on my posture as well because I still lean forward too much because of the pain I was in all of the time. Now I need to be aware of my posture and try to stand straighter and not bend forward.

When I used to ride my mountain bike back in the early 90's I did the same thing, slow and steady, and the results were terrific.

Have a great Thanksgiving! :btu:

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 am 

I hear you on the posture thing. I still find myself "guarding" myself as I walk, etc, at times.

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:59 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

My Arthritis doctor wants me to stand against a wall or door a few times a day and try to keep my back as close to the wall or door as possible. It's awkward and sometimes uncomfortable but I believe that if I continue to do this over time my posture will improve a bit.

When we goi shopping I usually push the card and try to stand erect that way I get some walking exercise and concentrate on my posture. After being bend over for so long it takes time for the body to re-adjust to standing straight.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian