[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Mustang Club of Maryland Public Forum

Mustang Club of Maryland

Home of the Mustang club of Maryland
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back Home After My Back Surgery!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:49 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Folks,

On Friday, July 6th I underwent Endoscopic Surgery to relieve pressure on my lower lumbar spine as a result of spinal stenosis. The surgery went well but there were some complications that caused me to be admitted to the hospital for another day.

Bottom line is that I am now pretty much pain free and can walk, stand and climb steps without any trouble. My activites will be restricted for about six weeks as I recover from the surgery.

Once again I want to thank the many friends of MCOM who have been so supportive throughout this entire process.

I received the delicious fruit basket from Edible Delights and am now enjoying the fresh fruit as I recover from my surgery.

I'm looking forward to a full recovery where I'll be able to once again do all of the things I used to be able to do like detail cars again! I just have to be patient and not rush the healing process.

You guys and gals are the best! :btu:

Sincerely,

Steve Tapper
Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

Post subject: Re: Back Home After My Back Surgery!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:29 pm 

Amen, glad to hear your ok Steve!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:28 pm 

Steve:

Glad to hear you are no longer in pain. Hope you are back in the saddle soon!

Glenn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 pm 

Glad to Have U Back Steve you have been so dearly Missed around the club !

Lynn :bows:

Red with White Strips
5 Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:59 pm 

get well soon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:32 pm 

Speedy recovery to you! I know how it can go... 1 neck and 2 back surgeries...

95 Ranger Splash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:53 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts and prayers!

Yesterday I was reminded that my recovery will take at least six weeks! After feeling so energetic immediately after my surgery, I was really tired and in a bit of discomfort yesterday.

That's to be expected so I'm just taking this recovery one day at a time!

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:28 am 
Past President
Past President

Glad to see your doing well! We've missed you :clinkmugs: .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:46 am 

Steve,

Glad to hear that the surgery was a success. Yes the recovery will take some time so just take it easy and let your body heal. You have been missed around at the club functions. We will be looking forward to seeing you out and about in the near future.

:btu:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:08 pm 
President
President

Steve,

Glad to hear the surgery was a success and that you will be pain free when fully healed! Get well soon.

James

1967 Fastback 289, C4, Magnum 500 wheels, Long Tubes

1989 LX Notchback 5.0 supercharged SSP too much to list

2011 GT some basic bolt on goodies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:55 pm 

Steve
Glad things are better. Take it easy. We will be glad to have you back full strength soon.
Enjoy the rest.
:btu:
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:26 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Things are improving a little bit each day. I'm not sleeping well as I still have anesthesia in my system. It will take a while for this to disappear so I wind up taking naps during the day.

I'm allowed and encouraged to walk and I'm making an effort to stand straight and improve my posture. I no longer am bent over and feel taller! I've also managed to lose a few pounds as I'm not eating as much as I normally would.

Most importantly is that I can now walk relatively pain free! :btu:

Steve
Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

Hi guys!

I'm continuing to make progress after my surgery. I've had my stitches removed and my lower back and tush are black & blue! The nurse told me that the wound is healing nicely and the discomfort I'm feeling in my lower back is being caused by internal swelling which is normal for this type of surgery.

I'm walking further every day and can stand up without any pain. Unfortunately I still cannot drive until after I see my doctor on August 14th. But I am moving around better and am able to travel with my wife as we go shopping. Anything to get out of the house!

Dave & Susan Kane came over last night to visit with me. We had a barbeque but ate inside as it is still too hot and uncomfortable to eat out on the deck.

I can't wait to get back to club activities again! Looks like the Bob Davidson Show may be my only car show left for the season with the club. I may do the Reese Volunteer Fire Dept. Car Show in mid August when I'm given the okay to drive again.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:19 pm 

I know the issues with the back but I haven't had surgery. I lost a lot of weight which is an added bonus, but being 6'4" it is hard to manage in this world being tall.

Be well

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

The wet weather we have experienced this past weekend has really been a bummer for my back! The dampness has really played havoc with my left hip and lower back. I felt Bursitis in my hip and my lower back was very weak as pain was shooting through me at times all throughout the weekend.

I still have a lot on internal swelling so this is not unexpected.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:19 pm 

hang in there.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:03 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

After a couple of down days I called the nursing staff at GBMC to let them know about my continuing discomfort. I found out that the normal period for taking pain meds after this type of operation is 12 weeks!

While I'm actually doing better than most I will have a long recovery ahead of me. The internal swelling and inflamation can take months to dissipate and as long as I have it, the pressure is still agravating my nerve. The nerve itself can take as long as a year to fully recover and regenerate.

When it is time to do so I will have an extensive schedule of physical therapy although I believe that I can actually do most of that on my own. Because of the scoliosis I will need extensive exercise to strengthen my back muscles. They just don't want me to be too gung ho about rushing things right now.

My ultimate goal is to be pain free and medication free. As a former weight lifter and bodybuilder I can pretty much get myself back into shape once I start working out again.

I just don't want to do anything that will cause added injury or delay my progress.

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:20 am 

Steve - Best wishes for a fast recovery. Hope to see you soon. Pam and Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:10 pm 
Treasurer
Treasurer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:40 am 
Treasurer
Treasurer

I just wanted to provide an update on my recovery from my back surgery on July 6th. I met with the neurosurgeon on August 14th which was six weeks after my surgery. He was very pleased with the outcome of the surgery and has released me from my previous restrictions.

He wrote me an order to begin Physical Therapy for 2-3 times a week for 4-6 weeks if necessary. I do not believe that I will need anywhere near that much PT. I'm starting to feel much better already and am able to do more activities without any setbacks.

This past weekend I waxed my wife's 2011 Hyundai Sonata with my Griot's Garage Orbital Polisher. I was able to wax her whole car without any issues with my back. I'm starting to move better and the PT will increase my flexibility. I also plan to join Planet Fitness in September and will begin riding my bike as a means to build up my cardio and endurance again.

I was very patient for the six weeks following the surgery and will take my PT and training slow as well in order to avoid any setbacks but it is amazing how much more I can do now compared to before I went in for my surgery!

Midnight Blue
MCOM Historian